Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Doing Triple D in New England (Part 2)

After a couple of days trying some great places in Rhode Island and Massachusetts and seeing a wonderful Boston Pops concert, I was pretty tired when I got the hotel in Revere, just outside of Boston.  I had planned a full day before going back to Boston Logan Airport for the flight home.  I decided that I would let my body decide what I should do.  If I slept in then that the body telling me to take it easy and if I got up, I go and try to do a very full day! 

I awoke feeling pretty good and decided to go "full steam ahead!"  I left the hotel about 7a and headed northwest on a very rainy New England morning.  I headed into New Hampshire to the city of Manchester to a tiny place called the "Red Arrow Diner"  I entered and the places was packed every seat full.  A booth opened up but they don't allow one person at a booth when it is so busy, but as I started to wait a young couple at the counter moved to the vacant booth to make room for me, the second seat was taken almost immediately by another patron .


Manchester's Red Arrow Diner

The Red Arrow is the diner version of Cheers!  The two very busy waitresses knew just about everyone who came in and greeted them warmly.  Along the counter each seat has a little name plate for a celebrity that visited and ate at that particular seat, I sat next to the seat that Guy had sat in.  The walls were adorned with pictures and cool wall ornaments and two huge neon signs of the Red Arrow's mascots, comic coffee cups named Moe and Dinah

Red Arrow's Mascots Moe and Dinah

As I looked over the menu, I saw huge meals and very reasonable prices,  One of the meal category was for multiple plate meals!  The husband and wife seating next to me each had two plates and they took three take-out boxes of left overs out with them!  I chose the Pork Pie with has browns.   Pork Pie was one of the featured dishes on their DDD episode, so  knew I had to try it and it was one of he lighter meals offered!  The crust of the pie was great, flaky and delicious. 

Red Arrow' Pork Pie and Hash Brown's

As I was eating my waitress came over to sign the book but she had an ulterior motive, which was embarrassment!  She gave me a sticker and stuck it on my chest that said "I have been de-virginized at the Red Arrow" and then rag a bell and made an announcement to everyone that me and one other patrons where no longer Red Arrow "Virgins".  The place broke out into applause, it was a lot of fun!  I am looking forward to returning there.

From Manchester and the Red Arrow I headed northeast into the state of Maine.  I decided to go as far north as I could then work my way south to Boston.  My first stop would be in the wharf area of downtown Portland to the very appropriately named "Porthole Restaurant".  This place is located on the water, near numerous docks and fresh fish markets. 

The Porthole in Portland, Maine

Right across the street from the restaurant

They were still serving breakfast, although I am not much of a breakfast eater I decided that "when in Maine, do as the locals do" and ordered the Lobster Benedict.  It was a classic Eggs Benedict with Lobster instead of the ham.  It was really good, and they take a lot of pride in their Hollandaise Sauce and they should, it was the best I had ever had


Lobster Benedict at the Porthole

From the Porthole I headed just a few blocks up the street to "Becky's Diner".  This is a very popular Portland eater and was packed.  I looked over the menu and decided on a side of Homemade Corned Beef Hash and it was really good, strips of corned beef and potatoes, sure beats the canned stuff!


Becky's Homemade Hash

I would have to admit that I did not find the place overly friendly, but the guy that was seated next to me was a regular and we had a nice conversation.  I also think that I was there on high school prom night as the young couple seating on my left were sharing photos of their dresses.  I left Portland and headed south. The rain finally stopped and it was a pretty nice drive!  I headed into the town of Wells, passing through the towns of Kennebunk and Kennebunkport, which is the second hometown of President George HW Bush.  On Route 1, I stopped at "The Maine Diner" which also includes the Remember the Maine Gift Shop.  The shop had a plethora of Maine gifts, but not much about the famous war ship the USS Maine. 


The Maine Diner - Wells, Maine



I knew exactly what I was going to get, on the show they featured an item called Lobster Pie and I know that was what I wanted!  The waitress was really surprised when I told her that I wanted the Lobster Pie, no sides, nothing else and she then asked me again listing each side, as my buddy Rich would say, "I want my Lobster Pie neat!"  The Lobster Pie is a full lobster shucked and put into a crock style dish and covered with breadcrumbs and served with melted butter.

Lobster Pie presentation

Delicious Lobster meat

I can't even describe how delicious this meal was!  As I write this I want to get another!  If you are ever in the area stop there and try it, I don't think you'll be disappointed!  I got the owner to sign my book and headed out.  A great place, that's all I can say!

I drove almost due south to the border town of Kittery, which seemed more like a town of outlet malls than being not too far from some of Maine's ocean beaches.  I stopped at a very busy and popular place called "Bob's Clam Hut".  This place was pretty crowded, they employ their own parking attendants!  The high prices for the seafood and being pretty full I decided to try the Bob's version of a Clam Cake.  It was not at all like the type I had tried in Rhode Island, t was more of a fish cake with clams.  Thin but with a lot of clam meat and was pretty good.  Bob's was so busy that I wasn't sure if I would get my book signed but did find a manager who signed it.  I headed out and left Maine for my flight home.

Bob's Clam Hut - Kittery, Maine


Bob's Clam Cake


Since I had some time to kill I decided to make a detour to a place on the Massachusetts and New Hampshire order in the town of Methune, Massachusetts called Prelude.  I stopped in to see the Chef-Owner but unfortunately he was not in.  This guy was on the Next Food Network Star the same season as Guy (the 2nd season of the show) and shares something with my brother (and the father of my niece, Rebekah, who I took to the Pops) his name and my brother's is Tom Grella!

I got to the airport with a few hours to spare and sweated out a full flight but got on and flew home after a great trip and fun time with my niece and was able to eat some great food and meet some fantastic people!  My DDD count is now 355!

No comments:

Post a Comment