Thursday, April 7, 2016

Checking out some places in Indiana and Illinois

I continued the quest towards my 500th Triple D visit.  I decided to take a quick trip to Chicago and head to some places within a few hours drive from the "Windy City". 

I took a few days off work and headed to Chicago and the trip did not start off well.  The nonstop flights didn't look too great so I decided to fly through Indianapolis.  I had a two hour layover in Indy so it wasn't too bad.  I headed off to my hotel for the night and would get the car and start my travels the next morning.

My travels would be slightly delayed as here was a fatal accident in a construction area on the road from my hotel to the airport, where I would get my car.  The usual 20 minute ride took almost an hour, so I was glad that my travels for the day would not take me back to the area.  I heard about the accident all day long on the local Chicago radio stations, it was a pretty bad accident and would snarl traffic for the entire day.

I got the car and headed for the 2 hour drive into Indiana to my first stop.  Traffic was very heavy through the city but as soon as I got past Chicago it was pretty smooth sailing.  I got off the highway around South Bend and then headed southeast to the town of Goshen, Indiana.  "South Side Soda Shop" was featured on the first season of Triple D and is a place that I have wanted to visit since I first saw their episode. 

South Side Soda Shop in Goshen, Indiana

A throwback, very nostalgic!

As I entered I was greeted by Nick Boyd, the owner and I recognized him immediately.  He noticed my book and I told him why I was there and he couldn't have been any nicer or more gracious.  He seated me at a corner booth and showed me the Triple D section on the menu and explained about the items that were featured on the show.  He told me that the day I visited was the 9th anniversary of Guy's visit and told me that they were there for 2 days, the first 12 hour plus day was just with the crew and the second Guy was there for 10 hours.  I told him that I had been wanting to visit since I first saw the episode.  The place is a real throwback to bygone times.  Nick explained that all the nostalgic decorations were donated from the community.  There are vintage sports pennants, classic signs and very cool vending machines throughout the place.  Nick, who is a native Philadelphian was really proud of the display of classic Philadelphia Phillies baseball cards and he was even wearing a Phillies ball cap!  Nick even has rolls flown in from Philly for his Philly Cheesesteaks, these are the same rolls that are used by Geno's and Tony Luke's in the City of Brotherly Love!

Inside the South Side Soda Shop

Very cool classic Hot Peanut Vending Machine

I was amazed how reasonable the prices were and decided to try two of the items that were featured on the show.  I decided on the Philly Chili and Liverwurst and Bacon Sandwich. I also got one of their Phosphate sodas called the Green River, which is soda water with Green River syrup added for a lime taste.  As I as waiting for my meal, Nick daughter (my server) brought me a cup of his Snapper Soup, she told me that "Dad wanted you to try this.  It came with a small carafe of sherry to add to the top.  It was really good almost gumbo lie with shreds of Snapper Turtle meat.  I poured some of the sherry and it was the real stuff and added to the taste.  Snapper soup is a popular Philadelphia soup and I did see it on the menu of a place in Buck's County, PA a few years ago, but not since then.

Nick's Snapper Soup


The chili is served in a sundae glass and really looks like an ice cream sundae.  Egg noodles on the bottom topped with the chili, onions cheese, and sour cream.  The sour cream looks like whipped cream so it really does look like a sundae.  The chili was really good and not too spicy.  It was a bit messy with the sundae glass, but really, who cares!

South Side's Philly Chilly, not a sundae!

Philly Chili and a Green River Phosphate

Inside the Philly Chili

The Liverwurst sandwich is on Nick's homemade rye bread with Dijon mustard, bacon and grilled onions and was really good.  My dad always had liverwurst when I was growing up and I never liked it but I guess I am getting more like dad in my as I get older because this is the second Triple D place where I have had liverwurst recently and enjoyed both!  The bread was awesome and really made the sandwich great!

Liverwurst and Bacon Sandwich on Nick's homemade Rye

One thing I remember about their episode was that Guy and Nick's daughter Nicole (not my server) had a Green River Syrup chugging contest.  As Nick was signing my book, a young lady came in carrying a baby and Nick told me that he is his grandson.  I asked if that was Nicole and it was, so he called her over and she also signed my book!  The chugging contest is a Triple D classic and I was honored to meet her!

I got ready to leave and Nick asked me if I was going to get some dessert and I told him I was very full so he gave me a slice of their homemade Lemon Meringue Pie in a "to go" box.  I would try it later and it was great.  They make all their pies on site in their basement bakery or "The Inner Sanctum" as Guy called it.

I headed out for the 2 hour dive back to Chicago.  I think my GPS was going crazy as I crossed from Central to Easter Times Zones twice on this drive!

I headed back into Chicago to a place on the south side.  "Honky Tonk" BBQ is a small place in the city.  I arrived shortly after they opened and was the first patron there.  There is a large bar that dominates the entire room.  They have a nice menu and I chose to try the Brisket Platter, on the recommendation of my friendly server.

Honky Tonk BBQ on Chicago's South side

Honky Tonk's large bar area

The brisket came out nice and tender and very nice salty and slightly spicy bark, which is my favorite part of brisket.  I got the Garlic Mashed Potatoes.  The potatoes portion was so big that I couldn't finish it.  The staff there was really friendly and the sous chef came out to sign my book and he asked me a little about my travels.  Just as I was about to leave he gave me a Honky Tonk BBQ shirt, that was great!  If you are in the area Honky Tonk is a must!

I was done for the day but my first stop the next day would be in Springfield, the capital of Illinois which is a good 3 hour drive from Chicago so I decided to get a place in the Bloomington-Normal area of Illinois about two hour's drive from Chicago.  I have visited the Bloomington area 30 years ago when my older brother got married in Normal, the hometown of my sister-in-law.

I decided to get an early start because after the hour drive to Springfield it would be a 3 to 4 hour drive back to Chicago.  In normal traffic the drive would be 3 hours but in Chicago traffic it would be closer to 4!

I arrived at "Charlie Parker's" diner a few minutes before 7am.  This place is an old World War 2 era Quonset Hut and is decorated with classic Rock and Roll records, sheet music and posters.  There are also a lot of classic roadside signs including a huge Sinclair Oil sign. 


Charlie Parker's in Springfield, Illinois

A Classic World War 2 Quonset Hut


Inside Charlie Parker's
Charlie Parker's is only open until 2p so they are mainly a breakfast joint, on their episode they featured a dish called "The Horseshoe", commonly know as "A shoe".  I knew that I would have to probably try that.  As I looked over the menu I noticed that they had a smaller version called "The Pony" and as I am not a big fan of breakfast I chose the Pony.  It is two eggs on toast covered with your choice of white gravy, cheese sauce or both with you choice of ham or sausage covered with hash browns.  Even with the smaller version, this is a huge meal and inexpensive, too! 

My Charlie Parker's Pony

Inside the Pony - All for $6.95!

It was a great meal and I don't like eggs!  The link sausage was mildly spicy and I chose the gravy which really added to the meal.  I finished up and got the manager to sign my book, I was a bit taken aback as he really didn't want to sign it which just seems strange to me, oh well, off to the next place!

It would be over hour's drive back to Chicago, the last hour was in a standstill in the city.  Chicago traffic is almost as bad as DC's!  I arrived at a lace on Chicago's north side.   "DMK Burger Bar" is a typical downtown eatery with a large bar and really catering the downtown business people. 

DMK Burger Bar on Chicago's North side

There is a big bar at the center of the restaurant with some interesting art work, one I noticed was a montage of letters that seemed a bit random but as I looked at it closer it said "Fries with that".  My server, Kayla, was very friendly and told me what the chef had made with Guy and I got the Triple D Bison Burger.  The burger came out great, with a slightly spicy sauce, purple onions and goat cheese on a really tasty roll.  It was really good and hit the spot!

DMK's Bison Burger

Inside the burger

Very tasty
Bison is much leaner than ground beef and it didn't taste gamy at all.  If I hadn't know it was Bison I would have thought it was very lean beef.  I was impressed!  Kayla signed my book and off I went to the next stop.

A few miles away I found "Hopleaf Bar".  Hopleaf is an homage to all things beer!  They have a small menu and everything is paired with one of the beers they feature.  I counted at least 45 different beers on tap.  Not only did they have all the beers on tap but also had at least a hundred different beers in bottle from all over the world and even had wine on tap! 


Hopleaf Bar - Chicago's Homage to all tings Beer


Since I had just been to DMK  decided to try one of Hopleaf's unique brews.  I chose the Bee's Nectar Mead.  The bartender poured it into a special glass.  I don't know why but I always think  it is very cool to see laces that have special glasses for the different types of drinks they serve.

My Hopleaf drink tap

Bee's Nectar Mead Glass

Love the special glass

The mead was a slightly sweet hard cider with a hint of sour cherry and honey.  I am not a huge drinker and I must tell you that this was really good.  Very reminiscent of the Cider I got on my trip to the Outer Banks a few weeks back. The bartenders are really in to beer, as I overheard several of their conversations with other patrons and they spoke of beer almost in the same manner that you hear wine connoisseurs taking about different varieties of wine. I would like to go back and try some of their food, the guy next too me got a Charcuterie platter of meats and it looked awesome.

I headed off to my next stop a few miles away on the North side of Chicago almost within sight of Lake Michigan.  "bopNgrill" is a Korean-American fusion restaurant.  They feature burgers and Korean platters.  It is in a tiny strip mall next to a Chipotle.  I have no idea why anyone would want to go to Chipotle with  bopNgrill next door! 


Guy's Tribute Wall at bopNgrill - This is a Guy poster I had not seen before

I chose the Loco Moco platter but got it without the usual fried egg topping.  I am like Guy and really don't like eggs (especially friend eggs!).  The platter came out in a to go box (even though I was eating in).  It was two beef patties over rice with brown gravy and a small salad on the side and a side of Korean Kimchi.

My bopNgrill Loco Moco (no egg) platter with salad and Kimchi (on the right)

It was really good!  I had never ad kimchi before and was pleasantly surprised, a little bit on the spicy side for me but better than I thought.  This is a really good place   The manager signed my book and we chatted for a few minutes about their episode

I had a few hours to kill before I would be able to go to my last Chicago stop.  Parking in the city is difficult at best but I found a specialty super market to park in and walked around looking at some of the more exotic items.  I was really surprised that the hotter the pepper the higher the price.  Jalapenos were about a buck a pound, Habaneros were 9 busks a pound!

I arrived at "Chilam Balam" a Mexican café a few minute before they opened.  I was the first to arrive at this restaurant in the basement of a row house which also houses a clothing store above also owned by the restaurant's owner. 

Chilam Balam - A North side Chicago Mexican Cafe

Chilam Balam's basement entrance

Inside the basement restaurant

They call themselves a BYOB restaurant, they allow patrons to bring their own beer, wine or tequila but don't sell it themselves.  I have noticed that this is something that many restaurants in the city of Chicago do.  I was the first patron but a young couple came in a few minutes after I did and they brought their own beer.  The owner seated me and she was very gracious and explained to me what they had made with Guy.  They feature small plates, which was perfect fr me and I chose a vegetarian plate called Casa Masa Melala's.  The plate had two corn masa "bowls" filled with a spicy salsa, black beans and Mexican cheese topped with a dressed mound of arugula.

Casa Masa Melaca's at Chilam Belam

Under the Arugula

It was really good and pretty spicy, thank god for ice water!  There was almost too much arugula but they way it was dressed with oil and vinegar really added to the dish.  The owner signed my book just before I left and the drive back to my hotel near O'Hare where I would catch a flight back hone the next morning.

It was a quick trip but I really enjoyed all the places I got to visit.  I will always remember Nick and Nicole at South Side Soda Shop.  I flew home with my Triple D count at 479, 500 is not too far off!

1 comment: