Saturday, December 12, 2020

Back for a few DDDs in South Florida

 When I got back from Texas I really wanted to get to some more places.  I saw that Guy had just been to a few places in the Fort Lauderdale area and the flights looked good so I decided why not?  After an all too short night I headed out.

My first stop was in the town of Parkland, about 20 miles or so north of Lauderdale.  "Los Bocados" is in a Chevron gas station and creates some delicious Mexican food.  I was greeted by Anthony, the owner and head chef.  He explained the menu and the items that Guy had on his visit.  I decided to try the Barbecue Brisket Tostadas.  The flat tortillas were topped with strips of brisket in a slightly sweet barbecue sauce and topped with avocado crema, pickled Jalapeno relish and Cotija cheese.  They were delicious!  I am not a fan of spice so the jalapeno relish kind of scared me, but the heat was minimal and very tasty.  Anthony and his staff are great, very friendly.  Since it's in a gas station you could easily miss it, but that would be a shame, Los Bocados is a hidden gem and worth a visit!






My next stop was about a 30 minute drive away, in the town of Sunrise. "Kababi Café by Kuluck" is a restaurant and nightclub.  They serve Middle Eastern and Mediterranean cuisine.   They have a dance floor and disco ball!  I decided to try the Grilled Shrimp appetizer.  The 5 large shrimp were fire grilled with subtle spices, meaty and tasty, it came with a basket of pita bread.  I kind of felt bad for my server, she was all by herself and had a decent lunch crowd to deal with.  The place seems like it would be fun place for a group on a weekend night. 




After a short break I was back at it.  I headed to lesser known Hollywood and Hollywood Blvd!  The Florida version of Hollywood Blvd. is a very walking friendly area filled with restaurants, bars and shops.  In the midst of this and next to a physic reading shop is "Krakatoa Indonesian Restaurant".  The restaurant is in a narrow but long building and is decorated with maps, pictures and decorations of Indonesia.  Being my first time at an Indonesian restaurant the menu was a bit overwhelming, the menu focused on seafood and vegetable based dishes, although there was some beef, lamb and chicken dishes as well.  I chose a vegetable based noodle dish called Mie Goreng; sautéed noodles cooked in coconut oil and vegetables, served with some crispy chips.  There must have been 6 or 7 types of vegetables in the dish including mushrooms, broccoli, sprouts, white and purple onions, and peanuts to name just a few.  The dish delicious and filling.   Before I left I got to meet Abe (pronounced Ah-Bay), the owner and chef who has brought the flavors ad dishes of his homeland to South Florida.







My last place of the day was a few miles away in Dania Beach just down the street from a favorite Triple D pace of mine, Grampa's Bakery.  "3 Son's Brewing Company"  is a microbrewery that also features pub grub, from pizza to salads to baked goods.  They also feature about 20 beers on tap made on site.  It is in a warehouse and they do a big business.  I decided to do a dessert style beer as well as a dessert.  I chose the fresh baked chocolate chip cookies along with  beer called Scoop; an Imperial Neapolitan Sweet Stout with Chocolate, Strawberry and Vanilla infused.  It had a very interesting taste and aroma, a bit sweet with the sour notes of stout.  It was very good!  The cookies came fresh baked and gooey.  It was a great way to end the day!  As I left I met the manager who signed the book and we talked about travelling and trying different Triple D places.









The next morning I headed out to what would be the most unusual visit during my Triple D travels!  I went back to Hollywood not too far from Krakatoa, the place I had dinner the night before.  "J28 Sandwich Shop" features Peruvian cuisine specializing in sandwiches and empanadas.  When I arrived there was a sign on the door stating "Closed Due to a Power Outage".  Just my luck!  There were a couple of others who arrived and Javier, the owner came out and said that this was the first time in 5 years that this had happened and he wasn't sure when it would be back, according to Florida Power and Light.  I told him why I was there and he said to wait and wen ton and got me a small plate with two meat and potato empanadas.  WOW, what a treat to get a sample of their food by such a gracious owner.  Before leaving I got him to sign my book.  I ate them back at the hotel and they were delicious.  I plan to revisit J28 on my next visit to sample more of their food! Thanks Javier!




My last stop on the trip would be a very special one, too.  "Pirate Republic Restaurant and Bar" is located at the marina in Ft. Lauderdale on the Intercoastal Waterway.  As you enter you pass statues of pirates, so as they say "Be Aware as Ye Enter, Matey!"  After getting my temperature checked I was seated at a high top table with a wonderful view of the marina and boat traffic including the Famous Jungle Queen dinner cruise boat.  The views and tropical breezes made it an almost perfect setting!  The staff is friendly and very helpful, this would be a great meal!  I decided to try one of their shrimp dishes, Barbados Shrimp; Shrimp and Portobello mushrooms in a wine, shallot, herb and butter sauce served with rice and a basket of rolls.  The light sauce was a great accompaniment to the huge shrimp, very meaty.  After finishing  I got to meet the Chef and Owner, Claudia and her husband, Robert, known to all as "The Pirate".  I had a nice conversation with Claudia as she told me all about hearing that they had been selected to be on Triple D and about the filming, she is a great lady!









This trip was very quick but I was able to try new things and meet some wonderful people.  I have been so blessed and fortunate to have had so many great meals and meet such great people.  As I flew home my Tripe D count stood at 819!



  

No comments:

Post a Comment