Sunday, November 20, 2022

900!

I decided that since I was just six places away from getting to milestone number 900, I decided to go to Cleveland Ohio, since I there were 6 there I had yet to try.

I arrived in Cleveland on a snowy morning.  I got to my first place, “Fat Cats”.  This is a true neighborhood bar and restaurant, the only business in the quaint neighborhood.  I took at a seat at the bar, which is the focal point of the place.  I decided to try something I haven’t had since my trip to Macau, Sardines. After a short wait my meal came out.  Two large sardine tails with a spicy red sauce and a dollop of garlic aioli.  Sardines smell very fishy but tasted great.  As I finished, I got to meet Chef Ricardo.  We spoke for a few minutes about my travels and Guy’s visit.


Fat Cat's - Cleveland. OH


Fat Cat's Bar

My Sardine Lunch - Very Good

I headed into the center of Cleveland for my second stop.  On the way I passed by Progressive Field home of the Cleveland Indians (now known as the Guardians).  “Mabel’s BBQ” is in a rebuilt area of the downtown with office buildings and a lot of restaurants.  Mabel’s is run by Celebrity Chef Michael Symon, and he has a unique take on barbecue, he calls it Cleveland barbecue. The sauce he uses has a mustard base using Bertman’s Cleveland mustard that is used at Progressive Field. I took a seat at the bar and was served by the best bartender/server I have ever had! I chose the Pork Belly platter that came with Cleveland slaw, a slice of rye bread, and Tony Packo’s pickles.  Packo's became world famous on the show MASH, Jamie Farr's character Klinger always talked about Packo’s from Toledo. My meal quickly came, and it was delicious.  The pork belly had a nice peppery bark, and the pickles were really good, the slaw was really spicy, too much for me.  My server surprised me with a complimentary dessert, Pecan Pie tart ala mode with vanilla ice cream, a very delicious gift! As I finished, I got to meet the executive chef.  I also got a picture taken with my server in front of the big lighted sign that said, “EAT MORE MEAT”. I had a great time at Mabel’s! 

Downtown Cleveland Alley filled with great places to eat


Mabel's BBQ, Chef Michael Symon's joint - Cleveland, OH

Mabel's Bar area

Mabel's Sauces - Bertman's based Mustard BBQ sauce on the left, Traditional Tomato Based on the right

1/2 Pound Pork Belly Platter

Delicious Pork Belly

Tony Packo's Pickels and Mable's very spicy slaw

They comped me a Pecan Pie ala Mode Tart

Mabel's BBQ mantra



My wonderful Bar Tender/Server with the "Guy Ate Here" pan

My third stop was at a place that for most of the year is an ice cream stand. “Mason’s Creamery” during the winter months transitions to a Korean based eatery featuring Ramen.  The place has temporary walls and space heaters.  I chose the Korean Potstickers and a Grapefruits Iced Tea,  the pot stickers were tasty and came with a ginger dipping sauce, which was delicious.  The tea was awesome with a ruby red grapefruit flavor.  Before leaving I met the chef and owner as he signed my book. 

Mason's Creamery - Cleveland, OH

Mason's Creamery - Ice Cream place in the warm months, Ramen and Korean hot food in the winter

Pot Stickers

Grapefruit Infused Iced Tea - DELICIOUS!

  

My second day in Cleveland started with lunch at a neighborhood place called “Astoria Cafe and Market”.  This place is part restaurant and part gourmet market.  On the market side they sell meats, cheeses, wines, beer and other gourmet foods.  I was given a high-top table and decided to try the Rosemary Ham and Gruyère Cheese sandwich.  The sandwich had ham piled high on thick rustic bread with cheese and spicy mustard.  They also baked cheese on the top which I didn’t care for.  On the side was a simple micro green salad with a light vinaigrette.  Before I left, I met one of the co-owners.  He told me that the chef who cooked on their episode, so impressed Guy that he went out to Santa Rosa to compete on Guy’s Grocery Games.

Astoria Cafe and Market - Cleveland, OH

Dinng area

Market area

Rosmary and Gruyere Cheese Sandwich with a light salad

I had dinner with Melanie, a good friend that I met in 2018 while working on the United Consistency Team, she has retired and lives in the Cleveland area.  We went to a neighborhood place called “Good Company”.  It’s built into an apartment building and was really busy when we arrived.  The menu looked great, they specialize in wings and sandwiches.  They take 72 hours of prep for their wings.  When the waiter asked if this was out first time, he told us that first timers get to sample the Garlic Pecorino wings and they were great.  The menu featured the dishes that they made on Guy’s visit.  I decided to try the Surf and Turf sandwich, a French Dip style sandwich with thinly sliced roast beef and topped with Crabmeat and a cup of au jus on the side.  Mel got the Sweet Chile wings, and we shared a side of fries and fried chicken skins.  All the food was really good, I would have preferred my sandwich to be just beef, I love crab, but it really didn’t add anything to the sandwich.  The chicken skins were awesome, probably bad for you, oh so tasty! The staff was amazed at the number of places I had visited, and I was able to get a few of the staff to sign my book.  I had a great visit with Mel and as we left, I now had 899 Triple D visits.  My last day in Cleveland would be a big milestone visit!



Good Company - A neighborhood place - Cleveland, OH


YEP!

First timers get to sample Pecorino Wings

Surf and Turf Dip Sandwich

A side of Fried Chicken Skins

Melanie's Sweet Chile Wings


Melanie and I headed out for the big #900 visit.  My favorite Christmas movie is “A Christmas Story”. The classic 1983 film was shot on Rowley Avenue in suburban Cleveland and the house used for some indoor shots and all exterior shots was across the street from the place I chose as my milestone place. “The Rowley Inn” was built and opened in 1906 as a pub for the workers at the nearby steel mill.  The upper level of the Inn was used during filming as a makeup prep office.  The place was packed when we arrived with people getting ready to tour the house.  We were seated at a small table in the back room.  I decided to try the BLT.  The sandwich was huge, eight slices of bacon piled high with micro greens and tomatoes on crusty sourdough toast served with fries.  Very tasty and filling.  Jim, the manager came over to sign my book before leaving.  I am so glad to have made The Rowley Inn my milestone visit.


The Rowley Inn, #900 for me across from the "A Christmas Story" House - Cleveland, OH

Inside the small neighborhood restaurant

My BLT, stacked with 8 slices of bacon!

I have been on this journey since Memorial Day, 2008 and I am hoping to get the next 100 in the near future.  I’m almost there 1000 will be a big deal, but now I’m at 900!



1 comment: