Friday, June 14, 2013

Triple D in the Low Country (Charleston, South Carolina) - Part 2

After finishing up at my 308th DDD location I headed into the historic area of Charleston.  There is an outdoor market area where the famous carriages rides originate from.  I spent a little time in this area because there is the Moon Pie General Store in this area and I wanted to check it out.  The store is a throw back to my childhood.  The store is filled with candy, drinks and collectibles of items that have seem to be long gone today but that I used to see in the stores, especially the old Ben Franklin store in Fairfax.  I didn't get anything on the visit but planned to go back later as the heat would have melted or ruined anything I bought.  This is the type of place that you have to make at the end of your visit and that was my plan.  I headed to the Charleston Maritime Center to get on the 1130a Charleston Harbor Cruise on the Carolina Belle to see the sites of Charleston Harbor.  Although it was hot, there was a really nice breeze and the water seemed to create a natural air conditioner and it made the cruise very pleasant.

Cruising Charleston Harbor
Captain David at the helm of the Carolina Belle


Charleston Customs House built in the 1800s


We sailed out for about 90 minutes and saw many of the buildings, barrier islands, and forts that make up the Charleston waterfront.  The most famous place being Fort Sumter, where on April 8, 1861 the Civil War began when the fort under the command of United States Army General Robert Anderson came under fire by the forces of the Confederate State of America Army led General P.G.T. Beauregard.  After over 24 hours of bombardment Anderson surrendered the fort and the war had begun.  The walls of the fort are now quite small, but at the time they stood over 25 feet tall.  In 1864 the US forces bombarded the fort and in early 1865 the fort was surrendered to the US Army. 

Fort Sumter

Where the Civil War began April 8, 1861

As we made our way around the harbor we saw the World War 2 aircraft carrier USS Yorktown, which served our Navy World War 2 and the Korean War and was a victim of Japanese Kamikaze attacks, but survived and is now at home and at peace in Charleston Harbor.

USS Yorktown

As we made our way back to land we cruised up to the new bridge that leads to the Mt. Pleasant island area from downtown Charleston.  This bridge which opened in 2004 improved the traffic flow in the area and is quite a visual site.

Harbor Bridge

After a very pleasant cruise I headed out to my next place.  This is one that I wanted to try.  The place is built from an old Gulf Gasoline station and is aptly named "Fuel".  The place is unusual because it really celebrates it's heritage as a gas station with paintings and memorabilia of gas pumps and cars but the cuisine is Island Caribbean.

Fuel in Charleston

An Art Deco style former Gas Station turned Caribbean Cafe

Inside Fuel, celebrating it's heritage

As I was not all that hungry I decided to try an appetizer and a side item, both of which were featured on Fuel's DDD episode.  One thing I noticed as I sat down, Fuel really likes to promote spicy foods.  On the table there were 4 or 5 bottles of hot sauces.  All of them looked good and hot, and featured the very hot habanero pepper. 

Fuel's added heat on each table

I chose the Ho Cakes, 4 corn cakes mixed with mild spices and served with a pepper spread and topped with a Key Lime sauce and sour cream.  My side was the Fried Sweet Plantains.  The Ho Cakes were pretty good, they were a little bit drier than I had anticipated but the sauce and pepper spread really accentuated the cakes.  The Sweet Plantains were probably the best I had ever had.  They were sweet and delicious.  I was able to get my book signed my the chef and owner but was not able to meet him as it was pretty busy for a late lunch crowd.

Fuel's Ho Cake appetizer

Sweet Plantains Side Dish

From Fuel I headed back to the hotel to get out of the heat and humidity.  It reached 99 according to the thermometer in the car and I think that may have been low!  I caught up with Barry and his relatives and they asked about my travels and told me about the reason they were in Charleston which was for a wedding which was just hours away.  The wedding would be held on a paddle wheeler river boat on the Charleston Harbor. When they left for that I left for m dinner stop which was in the town of Summerville about 20 miles west of Charleston.

In the late 1970s the Summerville High School football team had a star quarterback named Perry Cuda.  The team known as the Green Wave won the state championship and Cuda went on the play for the legendary football coach Paul "Bear" Bryant at the University of Alabama.  After a stellar career at "Bama" Cuda's pro football aspirations were ended with an injury and he returned to Summerville to run the family business, "Perfectly Frank's" simply put a "Hot Dog Joint"! 


A Summerville, SC landmark


Perry's dad name was Frank and he opened the place when Perry was young.  Perry has named all of the meals in honor of his father and all of them begin with the name Frank.  They have dozens of different types of hot dogs and also have other items, but the real specialty here are the dogs!  I chose the Frank Sinatra, a hot dog covered with Perry's special Bleu Cheese Cole Slaw.  I also chose the Frankie Cucumber, a hot dog with Fried Onions, Salmon Cream Cheese and fresh cut cucumbers.  Both were awesome and delicious!  After finishing off those I went up to get another dog (in my opinion give me another dog, I don't need a dessert!)  While waiting Perry came out to meet me and sign my book and he gave me a refund on my extra dog!  WOW, I got to meet him and get a free dog!  He was impressed with my travels and thanked me for coming in,  I just wish we had a Perfectly Frank's in Leesburg!  As I left I had to ring the cow bell by the door to give them my approval for a great meal!

My Perfectly Frank's meal - Top is the Frank Sinatra; Bottom is the Frankie Cucumber



Enjoying a Great Meal



I had one day and one place left in Charleston before heading home and really had a full day of relaxation planned before heading back into the historic area of downtown Charleston and tiring my final DDD location.  I headed into for an early dinner at a really funky joint that is decorated in a very unusual style, sort of a like a taxidermists heaven!   "The Tattooed Moose" is a neighborhood bar that has awesome food and a very interesting feel to it.  It is in an industrial area of Charleston and has a very eclectic clientele.  There were young professionals, retirees and families, it sort of reminded me of the Vienna Inn in Vienna, Virginia.
 
 


The Tattooed Moose - A Funky Charleston Bar and Restaurant



The walls are adorned with all types of signs and unusual decorations, but the most unusual decorations are the many stuffed animals all over the walls.  There are Moose, Chipmunks with firearms and Deer to name just a few. 
 



The Tattooed Moose!

 
The Funky Wall Decorations at the Tattooed Moose
 
I chose the dishes that were featured on the episode that featured this cool joint.  The Confit Duck Sandwich with the special fries cooked in duck oil.  I know that it doesn't sound too appetizing but both were delicious.  The sandwich had shredded duck on thick marble bread with fresh lettuce and tomatoes, cheddar cheese, bacon and a garlic-mayo spread and presented with a pickled green tomato and pickle wedges.  The fries were shoe string cut and had the garlic mayo on the side.
 
 
My Confit Duck Sandwich


The Tattooed Moose' Shoe String Fries
 
I really enjoyed the sandwich and again as at the Glass Onion, the duck was cooked perfectly and was not greasy as is the complaint for most people when they have duck.  I would recommend this place to anyone when they visit Charleston. 
 
Before leaving I decided to go back to Charleston's historic market area.  I went back to the Moon Pie General Store and check it out and all of the old fashioned candies and sundries that I remembered from my childhood.  the store is on the area where you can take a carriage ride through the streets of Charleston and although I did not do this on this visit, some of my friends have and they highly recommend it!
 
 
One of the many Carriage Companies in Charleston


Memories of Childhood Candy, the Infamous Bubble Gum Cigars!
 
After a great visit to Charleston I rode home headed back to Virginia via another childhood memory, Pedro and the famous "South of the Border"!  Although Pedro is n ot a DDD place it was great to see all the road signs again. 
 
As I arrived home, my DDD count had risen to 311!

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't stop thinking about the Moon Pie store! YUM! Did you get anything? Also, this is ridiculous but I forgot that I went to Charleston until I read about your Fort Sumter haha. So glad you had some delicious things to eat. I can't even imagine eating DUCK! You are awesome! Oh - and YAY! You were in one of the pics!

    ReplyDelete