Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Doing some Triple D's in the Buckeye State

Every year I use my vacation time at the end of the year and this time my vacation started in mid November.  I had planned a pretty full schedule of things to do but had a week or so open, so I planned a Triple D trip to Columbus, Ohio.  As the trip got closer I saw that the flights were pretty full so I decided to drive as Columbus is about a 6 hour drive from home.

I wanted to leave early morning to miss some of the traffic, planning to leave about 4a, but when  woke and couldn't fall back a sleep I ended up leaving home about 230a.  The only traffic for most of the trip was trucks, the commerce of the USA travels overnight!  I arrived at my hotel outside Columbus about 830a and was able to check in and rest a few hours before heading out.

My first stop was a place on the west side of the city.  "Sweet Carrot" is a café that specializes in sandwiches, small bites, baked goods and drinks.  I looked over the menu and chose a sandwich-like meal that featured Ohio chicken meatballs on a corncake (a cornmeal based pancake)  After ordering I took a seat at a high top table in the fairly large dining area.  The room is decorate in humorous paintings of veggies and rabbits.  Sweet Carrot does a huge take out business, they had one employee who was focused on getting the orders ready.


Sweet Carrot - Café in Columbus

Inside the open kitchen at Sweet Carrot

Me meal came out quickly.  The corncake was topped with 5 chicken meatballs and an spicy Asian Soy Corn Slaw.  I would have to say each item separately was just okay but together was very tasty with a spicy bite.  The corncake was very good.

My Ohio Chicken Meatball on Corncake meal

After finishing I was able to met AJ, the manager and he signed my book, in fact I had gotten a new book (all the others were full) so he christened my 7th Triple D book!

I headed out to my next stop, which was just a few blocks away.  "Loops" is a casual dining place with a definite Chicago theme.  Named for Chicago's downtown area and fashioned as a stop on the famous Chicago Elevated subway.  Loops has many of the Windy City's iconic casual dining meals.  They were doing a very brisk lunch business with very reasonable prices.  I chose the classic Gyro.


Loops, a Columbus Ohio homage to the Windy City

Loops open kitchen

Love the clock that represent important cities to the staff at Loops

While I waited for my meal I took I all the cool Chicago decorations and two humorous posters one lamenting the fortunes of both the Chicago and Cleveland sports fans.  My gyro was very good, lettuce and taziki sauce helped the flavor of the huge amount of gyro meat on tasty pita bread.  Before leaving I met the owner and he signed my book, he was excited and impressed that I recognized the setting of his restaurant.  I would highly recommend Loops if you happened to visit Columbus.

After a break I headed back out to try a unique place on the north side of the city.  I had some trouble finding the restaurant as it's inside a grocery store.  Mo Mo Ghar Ohio features the cuisine of Nepal and Tibet, a first for me. It's inside the Sakaga International Market.  The stand is small and has two or three high top tables and 4 seats at the bar overlooking the small kitchen.  I was greeted by three lovely ladies, one who was more fluent in English than the other two.  When they saw my book they told me what Guy had during his visit and they also told me that the days following their episode being aired their lines were really long.


Mo Mo Ghar a restaurant inside the Sakaga International Grocery

My first time trying the cuisine of Nepal and Tibet

Guy Ate Here in 2017

I ordered the same thing that Guy had on his visit, the Chicken Mo Mo, which were 8 steamed dumplings served in a spicy tomato based broth along with a piece of Naan bread.  The dumplings were stuffed with vegetables and chicken and was very good, the broth was very spicy.

Chicken Mo Mo, Dumplings in a spicy broth

The dumpling filling
I really enjoyed the meal and as I was there the places filled up, Mo Mo Ghar is a popular places despite having no real signage!

The next morning after visiting with a friend from my early days at United then headed to my next stop.  "Ena's Caribbean Café" is a small spartan place that produces authentic Jamaican and Caribbean cuisine.  I looked over the menu and chose the classic Jerk Chicken but was warned that it was very spicy so I chose the BBQ Jerk Chicken.  The meal included a choice of two sides and I chose the traditional Rice and Peas (Black Beans) and Cornbread.

Ena"s Caribbean Kitchen in Columbus

Ena's order area and semi-open kitchen

My meal came out and it was HOT (and spicy), when I opened the box, steam poured out.  The chicken, despite what the staff told me was pretty spicy.  The huge portions were very tasty!  I am glad to have ordered the cornbread because it was good to curb the spices.  After finishing I was able to meet Ena and have sign my book.

My meal at Ena's, you can see the steam!

I would definitely go back and try some of the other island meals they offer, especially the traditional Jamaica patties.

My last stop in Columbus would be of the most interesting places I have ever been to.  "Pierogi Mountain" is the food kitchen inside the Café Bourbon Street bar.  The place is pretty dark and has a stage which hosts weekend concerts.  The music playing during my visit was from the 1970s show Flash Gordon, I hadn't heard that song in years!  The kitchen is a side door where orders are taken, drinks are purchased at the bar nearby.

Café Bourbon Street bar which houses Pierogi Mountain



The entrance to Pierogi Mountain where they take food orders

Their unique take on the "Guy Ate Here" wall stencil

I love Pierogis and decided to try four pierogis, they feature about a dozen different styles.  I chose the basic Cheddar Cheese, a Smoked Gouda , Coney Island Dog, and a Reuben.  They make them to order and after a few minutes they came out, all were delicious!  All were topped with sour cream and fried, caramelized onions.

My 4 Pierogi plate

After finishing the 4, I was still hungry so I decided to get a few more and decided to try some more of the cheddar and gouda types.  I was not disappointed!

My second Pierogi plate

I was able to get the kitchen manager to sign my book before I headed out.  I was able to get to 5 new places on this trip, I still have one more but I will get to that on another trip.  As I headed home I was very pleased with all the places I tried and my Triple D count stood at 726!

No comments:

Post a Comment