Sunday, September 12, 2021

Eating Arizona Again

 After a long 10 months away from trying Triple D places I was able to get away start it again.  I had been planning to travel earlier in the year, but I contracted COVID in mid March and was away from work for a month.  Thankfully I am feeling much better and my COVID was pretty mild compared to others, I never lost taste or smell but did have a nagging cough.

I left Dulles on Labor Day for Phoenix and after about an hour and half delay due to computer weight processing problems, we took off and headed west.  After getting the car and staying overnight near the Phoenix airport, I headed south towards Tucson.  

The drive took just under two hours. The Tucson area seems to be a huge road construction project.  My first stop was at "Chef Alisah's" which specializes in European and Bosnian cuisine.  As I entered I was greeted by Chef Alisah himself!  The restaurant had tables with blue table clots and purple bunting.  I was going to get the sausage meal that was featured on the show, but after talking with the Chef, he suggested to try the Bosnian Goulash, who am I to question the chef!   After a very short wait the Chef brought my meal, a large plate of meaty goulash with rice, a salad and a basket of bread.  The goulash was not too spicy, and had a huge portion of meat.  It was very filling and I had to take it in a to go box.  I was able to get the Chef to sign my book before I left.  I would recommend Chef Alisah's as the menu is large with great variety.  








I headed to my next stop about 20 minutes away.  In a small strip mall is "Inca's Peruvian" a small place with indoor and outdoor seating and a pretty extensive menu.  I decided to try an appetizer and asked to try the Tamale, which wasn't available, so the server suggested to try the Papa Rellana, a sculptured potato stuffed with minced beef and Peruvian spices and a very spicy salsa on the side.  They also gave me a side that was very much like con nuts. My server signed the book and took a picture of it to show Inca's owner. I took it to go and ate it at the hotel and let me tell you, it was delicious! I would recommend Inca's.  Inca's would be my last stop of the day as the next place I was planning to try changed their hours and was closed!  So much for planning!





On the flight out I started to feel not so great and it continued  while I was in Tucson.  After checking in to the hotel I crashed for a afternoon nap and late in the afternoon I felt good enough to head out to my next place.  When I checked the place I wanted to try the place had just changed their schedule and was off that night, feeling bad and surprise closures not a good start! In the morning I still didn't feel that great but I had to drive back to Phoenix, since that's where my hotel for the next 4 nights was.  On the way I stopped at my last Tucson restaurant.

"Tumerico" is a Vegan restaurant specializing in Hispanic food.  The place is bright and welcoming; very colorful with festive music playing throughout. Since I wasn't feeling great I decided to try something small and decided on the Vegan Tacos.  Now I will admit that I am a meat eater so although the taco was tasty, it wasn't my cup of tea,  If your Vegan or like that cuisine the Tumerico is the place for you with a huge menu. I headed out for the 2 hour drive north to Phoenix (kind of strange since I was driving on I-10 West!)





 

After resting for a few hours and having to change rooms, mine had no A/C, I felt good enough to head out to a place very close to the hotel.  "Tacos Chiwas" is a small place specializing in Mexican fare and I decided to try the specialty of the house Beef Street Tacos.  The small but tasty tacos were topped with pickled onions and cilantro.  They brought out two types of salsa, one was supposed to be mild, well, they have a different opinion on mild than me! The tacos were very good and they do have a big menu and really good prices!  After finishing I headed back to the hotel for the night.





I woke up on my third day and felt much better.  I would be able to get to a bunch of places!  The big problem was Mother Nature, at 10a when I went out it was already 104 and would peak in either 110 or 111! 

My first stop was at a small place that has probably my favorite Hispanic food, Empanadas.  "Republica Empanadas".  The small place a small seating area and a huge menu of both savory and sweet empanadas.  I chose one of each.  My savory choice was the Cheeseburger Empanada stuffed with ground beef and cheddar cheese, it was really tasty with a very crisp shell.  My sweet choice was the Banana Crème Pie Empanada, the shell stuffed with half a banana with house made crème inside and atop the empanada. It was delicious, I highly recommend Republica Empanada!








My next stop was about 15 minutes away. In a small strip mall is a small but very lively!  "Aloha Kitchen" is a small piece of Hawaii in the Valley of the Sun.  The staff was very welcoming, the colors were bright and warm.  I decided to try the Mini Pork Bulgogi Plate, a traditional Hawaiian serving with delicious pork toped with bulgogi sauce and a side of rice and Macaroni Salad.  This meal was delicious, some of the best pork I have ever had and the portion was huge!  A Mini plate filled me up!  I boxed half the meat up to have it for breakfast!





I had one more place to try before taking and afternoon break.  The food had been great but the heat was hitting pretty hard.  A few miles away was "Sal's Gilbert Pizza" in the town of Gilbert.  This place was doing a very busy lunch business!  As you walk in there is a menu board but they have on display a number of Pizzas.  I saw something I wasn't familiar with and decided to try what the called the Inside Out Sicilian cheese pizza.  The restaurant is decorated Italian posters and decorations.  The huge slice came out with cheese inside and tomato sauce on top, it was really good, a bit doughy which made the taste even better.  Before leaving I was able to me THE Sal and we talked a few minutes before he signed my book.  I then headed out for a afternoon break.






After a few hours break I headed to some places north of the city.  My first stop was one very unique place, it's a gas station, car wash and a restaurant!  "The Thumb" specializes in BBQ and meat sandwiches.  They have several seating areas including one with a huge aquarium, which I found out later was made by the guys from the show, "Tanked!". They were changing the price signs and the take out menus had NO prices, so it was a bit confusing.  I decided to try what the called the Oklahoma Onion Burger.  The burger had a bed or fried onions under a meat and cheese patty.  It was good, although, and I say this just giving you my opinion on the taste, the onions were salty for MY taste.  The staff was really nice and I talked to the manager for a few minutes and got my book signed.  







I headed out to an Italian Bistro called "Andreoli Italian Grocer"  It's both a restaurant and Italian food grocery.  The place is old world Italian with comfortable tables and a bunch of Italian World Cup soccer flags.  I decided it was time for something sweet and I chose the Cannoli. They were delicious, not too sweet with a smooth Ricotta filling, one of the best ever!  Before leaving I met the owner Chef Andreoli who signed my book.  I headed out for my last top of the day.







My last stop was in Mesa at a small Asian place called "Slanted Rice Vietnamese Cuisine".  They were doing a decent dinner business and I decided to get it to go.  My favorite Vietnamese meal was not on the menu so I decided to get the Shrimp Spring Rolls.  They were really good with huge shrimp encased with celery, carrots, cilantro.  I headed back to the hotel to get ready for another day in the heat!





My fourth day would be a bit slower and a lot more relaxing, although the heat was a bit cooler, only a high of 105!  My first stop was at a smokehouse and bar in the northern part of Phoenix.  "Bootleggers" is a restaurant that specializes in all kinds of smoked meats served in just about any way that they can be.  The place is dark with a huge bar and large seating area, surprising as it is in a small strip mall. I took a seat at the bar and decided to try the Pork Belly Tacos.  After a few minutes the three street tacos came out topped with pickled purple onions and an avocado salsa on the side.  The salsa was very spicy but the onions had a nice spice kick that really enhanced the delicious chunks of pork belly. After getting my book signed I headed out for my next stop.





I headed back into the area near my hotel. "The Wild Thaiger" is a Thai place that was doing a pretty decent lunch business.  I decided to get the appetizer that was featured on The Wild Thaiger's Triple D episode.  Dragon Eggz, are dumplings that can be ordered either steamed or pan fried and are filled shrimp and crab.  They reminded me of a Dim Sum item.  I decided to get half steamed and half fried. After a short wait they were brought out. They had a teriyaki and soy sauce. They were pretty good but I wish the fried Eggz were  bit crispier.  The taste was really good.  It was a nice choice because to me Thai food can be very spicy!  I headed back to the hotel for a short break before dinner.








I had been looking forward to my next place since I started planning the trip. I would be meeting with Triple D "Super Couple"  Jane and Roger.  Thye have been featured on several episodes, hosted a number of Triple D restaurant owners and chefs in their home and bring boisterous fun on all of their 300 DDD visits.  They relocated full time to Phoenix about 18 month prior to my visit from Minnesota and I had dinner with them about 2 years prior at Red Wagon Pizza in the Minneapolis area.

"Paradise Valley Burger Company" is in a small strip mall, the owners also operate a take pizza place about 2 doors down, which was also doing a booming dinner business.  After catching up, we got some pictures with the owner and with the Holm's famous "Guy Visors"! I chose to try one of the burgers that Guy had on his visit, the Country Fried Burger, a patty topped with crispy onions and topped with white Country sauce.  Jane and Roger shared two burgers; the Country Fried Burger and a pepper based burgee that you could smell the heat, Jane and Roger love spice!  It was great catching up with them, the love of great food is made better by great friends!  I have been fortunate have made numerous friends through my Triple D travels








After getting back to the hotel, Jane sent me a text that John, the owner of "Fat Olives" and "Salsa Brava" in Flagstaff would be able to meet us the following day at 1p.  Both of his restaurants have been featured n Triple D and I was planning to make the 2 and half hour drive north anyway so this was an added treat (I had been to to Salsa Brava on a previous visit).  The two and a half hour drive is quite scenic, mountains and valleys and for a stretch Saguaro Cactus by the thousands.  

I arrived a few minutes early, Roger and Jane were already waiting along with John at a table on the end of the dining room. "Fat Olives" features great Italian appetizers, brick oven pizza, pastas, salads and at lunch oven baked sandwiches.  Upon seating John ordered us several of his specialty appetizers that pared with the special Jardinière sauces that Jane made and brought as a gift to John, they have been friends for many years, Triple D friendships are strong and lasting!  After a round of pictures and book signings it was time for to Mangiare!  Freshly baked flat bread with Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar.  Freshly baked bread (crusty and chewy) with two types of fresh Mozzarella, one freshly cut and the other oven baked, along with Parma Ham and Olives.  The Olives were heated in the oven and John explained that the heat loosened the oils in the olive increasing the taste of the olive and it also makes pitting the olive easier, nd they were delicious!  The Mozzarella was awesome and the bread heavenly! John had to leave before we ordered our meal as he had an important catering job to attend to.  He had planned only a few minutes with us which ended up being 90 minutes!  I can't tell you how much I appreciated him giving us so much of his precious time.  We were stuffed from the apps but decided to try the pasta, I got the spaghetti and meatballs in a tomato sauce, Jane and Roger tried the Spaghetti with Bolognese.  We all took the pasta to go, it was delicious but we were stuffed.  John also gave us travel mugs when he left.  This was one of the highlights of Triple D travels, to be made to feel like a part of the family is very special.  If you're in the state of Arizona, make planes to visit both of John's restaurants, you will also be made to be a member of his family!











I had my last day in Arizona as a kind of "free day" really had nothing planned, but since I was feeing much better, I decided to make the drive back to Tucson to get to the two places I had missed earlier in the week.  I also want to drive around the area in South Tucson where Davis-Monthan Air Force base is and the Aircraft Graveyard along with the Pima Air and Space Museum.  I loved driving around that area and seeing all the mothball aircraft but the problem was trying to get pictures, I did take a few but the raised berm made it very difficult.  The Pima Musuem is a place I need to return to as I didn't have time to full visit.  I was surprised to see some pretty modern airliners there, including a Boeing 747, 777, and 787 on display.


 





After my impromptu tour I headed to my first stop, the drive over reminded me that Tucson is one huge road construction project!  I arrived at "Rocco's Little Chicago Pizzeria".  The restaurant has a small indoor seating area along with an outdoor patio, but it was way too hot for the patio.  I was seated at a small table and served by a waiter who was friendly and very Chicago!  I rally liked all the Chicago memorabilia on the walls. I chose the Chicago Pizza slice and got it with roast beef and smoked bacon.  Now the Northside of Chicago favors the very deep dish pizza, whereas the Southside favors the thin crust.  The slice was sort of medium.  It was very tasty and having Italian Beef as a topping was a first for me.  The crust was very crispy the the tomato sauce thick and delicious.  Rocco came out of the kitchen to meet me and sign my book.  A really nice guy!






I headed out for what would be my last stop about a 20 minute drive to a small strip mall in the northern area of Tucson.  "Renee's Organic Oven" is a small place with indoor and outdoor seating.  I was a bit worried that I'd be stuck in the heat as their sign stated that all indoor seating was reserved only online and in advance, but thankfully they were able to accommodate me with an indoor table.  The place is pretty dark but each table has a small lamp with a wine and dessert menu and hand sanitizer.  My server was great, very friendly and attentive, when she saw my book and I told her about my travels, she asked about how I got started on this journey, it was a very nice conversation.  I decided to order an open faced sandwich called The Tailored Tony, which they served Guy on his visit.  Organic grass fed ground beef in marinara sauce and topped with marinated red peppers and served on organic focaccia bread with a nice Caesar Salad on the side.  Normally it's topped with mozzarella cheese, but I chose to get it without.  It was delicious and the peppers gave it a nice sweet taste.  I had hope to meet Renee, but she was running late so maybe next time!  She did send me a thank you on my Facebook post, which was very nice.




I left Renee's and headed back to Phoenix to get ready to move on.  I had a wonderful trip, although I must admit I wasn't so sure at the start.  I was able to visit with Jane and Roger, which is always a treat and got to meet John in Flagstaff.  I am so fortunate to have been able to meet so many great people and try so many excellent places.  As I left Arizona, I was not headed home but to Seattle to do more places in Oregon and Washington, but that's another story and my count was sitting at 837! 

No comments:

Post a Comment