Monday, November 13, 2023

Heading West to Idaho, Washington, and Wyoming - Part 2

The trip out west continued from Boise to Spokane, Washington. The flight from Boise to Spokane was a bumpy 46 minutes and after getting a car I headed out to my first Triple D place, "Waddell's Neighborhood Pub". A classic sports bar/restaurant. It's named for Hall of Fame baseball player Rube Waddell, who played at the turn of 20th Century. I don't know what his connection with Spokane was, but it's cool that they honored him. Sports memoribila and art adorns the walls of the restaurant, but the coolest thing are the hundreds of beer tap heads all over, even on the ceiling. The owner told me that those tap heads were used at least one time, meaning that they have had hundreds of beers on tap. I was hungry after a long day of waiting at the Boise airport for the flight so I decided to try the sandwich Guy had on his visit, "The Lambstrocity". The big sandwich, a combination of a Philly Cheesesteak (with shredded lamb instead of steak) and a French Dip came with au jus and a delicious pasta salad. It was delcious! Waddell's is a place I will definitely visit again when I'm in Spokane.
My first full day in the Spokane area began with a 40 minute drive east to the town of Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. In the middle of town is a place called "Jimmy's Down The Sreet". Jimmy's is a busy place where the locals meet. On the front door it said, "Guy Fieri Loved Our Pecan Rolls!" so after I entered I knew that's what I wanted to try. The roll was huge, topped with a layer of caramel sauce and pecans,topped with a dollop of butter and little Americn planted on top. It beat me I coud only finish a little over half and I was full! I loved Jimmy's it's like what I imagined the Mayberry Diner might have been like on "The Andy Griffih Show". I was amazed at how fast they turned the tables, as I finished I went to use the restroom and when I came out my table had already been reseated. This is a place that anyone would love!
From Jimmy's I headed across town to to a popular place called "Capone's Pub and Grill". I arrived to find a sign in the door saying they were closed for a carpet installation, luckily they listed another location in the town of Post Falls, Idaho. My first impression on arriving wasn't that great. There was a sign stating, before entering scan the code to get the current menu prices due to changing food costs. I took a seat at the bar and the papaer menu had every price blacked out. The cynic in me thought, they can change their prices at will, I was not impressed. I decided to get the burger sliders and they were pretty good, 4 small burgers topped with cheese and onions. My server was ok, very busy and I could sense that he had no interest in knowing why I was there, so after finishing I headed out and back to Spokane, one of the few places where I didn't get the book signed.
Back in Spokane I ended my day at a fine ding place caled "Ruins". I was seated at a table by the window and chose the pan fried trout. The trout was stuffed with mashed brussel sprouts and topped with a crunchy crumb topping. It was really good, the mild white fish mixed well with the tangy sprout mash. My server was awesome, friendly and very informtive about all the menu items and she signed my book.
I began my last day in Spokane at a very unusual place, "Chap's Diner and Bakery". It looks like a rustic lodge but it's in the middle of a strip mall. As you enter you feel like you're in a hunting lodge. I was given table in one of the three dining rooms. I then went up to the counter to order and I decided on the Eggs Benny. The meal was delicious, and I don't usually eat eggs. The poached eggs sat ontop of 3 slices of hame and two crispy English muffins and topped with Hollandaise sauce. The sauce was perfect, thick with a lemony finish. The lemon flavor is the one thing that many places get wrong with Hollandaise, it's a must! My server asked me about my Triple D journey and she told me a little about Guy's visit, but it got so busy (they also do a huge carry-out business) that I was unable to get my book signed. Chap's is a place that I highly recommend and hope to visit again!
My last stop in Spokane was a neighborhood bar and restaurant called "The Elk Public House". It's in the middle of a neighborhood and has the feel of being in someone's home. I decided to do something lighter and tried their soup of the day, a tomato and bean soup and a blue cheese chopped salad. The soup was very good and hearty and seved with two slices of crusty french bread The salad was very good with chunks of bleu cheese and bacon with a light, cream dressing. I got me server to sign my book and he gave me one of their t-shirts, a very nice gift!
My time in Spokane was over so it was onto my last destination, Laramie, Wyoming. That's Part 3!

No comments:

Post a Comment