Sunday, November 12, 2023

Heding West to Idaho, Washington and Wyoming - Part 1

I like to take most of my vacation durng the last few months of the year like to travel. I decided to get back on my Triple D adventure by heading out west to Iadaho, Washingtn and Wyoming. I headed to Dulles heading to Boise, and after a short onnection in Salt Lake City I arrived into Boise on a cool overcast afternoon. My first stop in the capital city of Idaho was a small place called "Madre Boutique Taqueria". I ordered the Pork Belly Bahn Mie. After a short wait my meal was delivered. It was a taco version of a traditional Vietnamese sandwich with the soft taco shell instead of a roll. The dicon and carrots were crispy an fresh and the feature was a large slice of pork belly. It was really delicious! I was able to meet the owner who came and signde my Triple D book and give m a baseball hat with the restaurants logo on it. A nice gift from a really great place.
I headed out to the next place, a classic drive-in. The "Westside Drive-In" has the classic menu featuring burgers, fries, sandwiches, ice cream treats and on the weekend, Prime Rib The place has two drive thru lanes for cars and a walk up window. No inside dining here! I decided to get something small and cose the classic cheeseburger which I ate in the car. The burger was good, the best part was the toasted bun, a nice crunchy bite.
Next up was a place that featured one of my favorite foods: Empanadas. "Tangos Empanada House" is a small place seating about 20 but they make both savory and sweet empnads. I decided to try one of their sweet dessert empanadas. The crusty shell held a chocolate caramel filling and was hot, fersh out of the oven, sweet and delicious.
One of the things I enjoy the most of my Triple D journey is meeting great people along the way from the owners, staff and local restaurant patrons. Another great thing is catching up with old friends who live in the areas I visit. In Boise I have a friend I have known since the second grade at Mosby Wood Elementary School. Maureen and her husband Jay moved to Boise to get away from the DC rat race and I totally understand that! We agreed to meet for dinner at a small place in the downtown area close to the State Capital building. I met them at a small Basque restaurant called "Bar Gernika". The place is in the middle of the Basque area of Boise, that included a few more restaurants and a Basque Musuem. I asked Jay about the history of the area and he told me that the Basque people had emigrated to Idaho from the Basque that borders Spain and Portugal. The busy restaurant is small but we got a table at the back of the place. Maureen told me that since the pandemic BG, as people call it, had reduced their menu, featuring small plates and sandwiches. We each ordered sandwiches, Jay chose the Chorizo sandwich, Maureen the Chicken sandwich and I chose the pork sandwich. I also chose the side of deep friend potato balls. My sandwich was delicious with a thick pork slice topped with peppers and a tasty sauce on a custy baguette. The potato balls were crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, with a mashed potato consistency. It was a great meal, the highlight was meeting up with and old freind over a delicious meal, this is the best part of my travels! I hope to get back to see Maureen and Jay again!
The first place I visited on my second day in Boise was not the best, in my opinion. I do like to keep these very positive so I won't give the details but I found the service very mediocre and food to be ok. The nxet place would be the highlight of my trip. "Alyonka Russian Cuisine" is a small place and features a food that I haven't been able to sample often, Russian. I arrived when they opened and met Elena, the owner. The restaurant is decorated with Russian and Eastern European art and memoribilia. I decided to try two appetizers instead of a main entree. The first was called a Chebureki, a fried turnover with a meat filling. It was very tasty and although it was fried, it was not greasy. The other was the Blini Platter, 6 crepe-like blinis with ground beef, vegetable and salmon filling and a side of sour cream, they also added spoonfull of orange salmon roe cavier. The fillings were great but the vegetble filling was the best of all! The blinis hd a pancake consistency and were delicious. I really enjoyed my meal and also talking with Elena. Many of her visitors are families from her Russian Orthodox Church not to far from the restaurant, it relly had a family feeling to it. I got to meet some of the other diners and one had lived in Vienna, VA very close to where I grew up. Even though I was full, Elena wouldn't let me leave without trying a slice of her Honey Cake, which I ate later back at the hotel! I definetly recommend Alyonka!
My next stop was about 20 minute drive east, in the mountains. "Hilltop Station" is a small place that serves American fare. The place has the feeling of a adventure outpost they also have a store selling camping provisions. I had to try the finger steaks which I heard is a Iadho thing. Finger Steaks are deep frined steaks bites cut like cheicken fingers, they were really good, although I found the batter to be a little thick, the steaks pieces were almost well done. Hilltop Station is worth a vist for both food and the scenic drive!
I headed back into Boise to the same area I had been the night before. "Saint Lawrence Gridiron" is within sight of the Capital building and is not what you'd expect from the name. It's an eclectic place with a fine dining menu, I decided to end my day with a hearty bowl of soup. The roasted pepper soup had a kick of spice and was very thick and tasty. As I was laeving I asked about the name, becuase I thought it might be a sports bar but they told me it was the name of the original smoker! there was not a TV on site!
My last place in Boise was about 30 miles west of the city in the town of Caldwell, and I enjoyed a very scenic ride to the restaurnt. "The Orchard House Restaurant" specializes in breakfast and lunch. As you enter the theme of Christmas hits you. The place can be called a Chrsitmas village. I chose the Biscuits and Sausage gravy and it was awesome. Te biscuits were fluffy and light, the gravy was thick and tasty, and a side of hash browns, a very hearty meal. I was a bit full to try their other specialty, pie, oh well, maybe next time.
From here I drove back to the Boise Airport to catch a flight to Spokane, Washington, Stay tuned for Part 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment