Thursday, May 17, 2012

DDD Returns to the Metorplex

After returning from my trip to San Antonio I started thinking about where to next.  I have for the past year wanted to go up to Buffalo as there are 7 places that were on the show and I had planned to go up there last June but due to some work issues I was unable to go.  I started to plan the trip to Buffalo.  As many of you know, when I travel I fly on standby so if there are seats then I can go and if the flights are full, it's no go for me.  I had the days in mind and then looked at the flight loads.  Now I figured midweek in mid-May would be a good time to go to Buffalo, well I was wrong.  The flights were full in both directions so I just started looking at different cities to maybe try and plan.  The city that looked promising was Dallas!  I have a good friend named Steve who lives in the Dallas suburb of Lewisville and wondered if he might want to join me on my DDD adventure to 5 places in the Dallas area which is known to many as the Metroplex.  I planned a quick overnight trip and Steve decided to join in and that helped me out as he would do the driving and that save on a rental car and having to drive in an unknown city.  Steve also works as a Beer Vendor at the Texas Rangers Ball Park in Arlington so we would also go there, me to watch the Rangers vs Kansas City Royals game and Steve to sell beers.

The day came to depart and I got a seat on the morning flight to DFW and it was the most uncomfortable seat on a flight I have ever had, it felt like sitting on a wood bleacher for almost 3 hours!  Oh well, it was a seat and I got to Dallas on time so you can't beat that.  Steve met me on arrival and we took off for our 2 day adventure. 

We drove to our first stop which is in an area of Dallas in the northern section of the city.  An older section at the intersection of Maple and Motor Streets.  The place we went to is called (surprise surprise) "Maple and Motor"


My lunch at Maple and Motor - Cheeseburger with a side of Rings and Tots

This place does a huge lunch business.  There was a line about 6 deep and it was slow due to a problem wit their credit card modem.  As soon as they told people that it was cash only the line started to move and we quickly got up to order.  Maple and Motor's specialty is burgers and sandwiches.  Both Steve and I got burgers and then we shared sides of Onion Rings and Tater Tots.  The service was really fast and the burgers were great!  The place is pretty cool with old commercial signs all over along with old photos.  I was able to talk to some of the staff and the General Manager of the place signed my book, They are very friendly and t is worth a visit if you are in the area.

Later in the afternoon we headed over the Arlington, a pretty big city in between Dallas and Fort Worth.  Arlington is home to the Six Flags Over Texas amusement park, the Dallas Cowboys Stadium and the Texas Rangers Ball Park.  Arlington is also the home of our second DDD location "Chop House Burgers".


The Signature Chop House Burger

The Chop House Burger is a mixture of Ground Beef and Beef Brisket

Chop House Burgers lives up to it's name and serves all types of burgers many of which are stuffed with or mixed with all types of ingredients.  Their signature burger and the one that both Steve and I got and the burger that Guy made on the DDD episode is the Chop House Burger.  It is a burger that is a mix of ground beef and beef brisket.  The burger was very tasty and had a very unique taste with the both types of beef giving the sandwich a good flavor.  The bun was excellent and really made the flavor of the burger standout.  I was lucky enough to catch the owner and chef that cooked with Guy sign my book just as he was getting ready to leave. 

From there we left for the Texas Rangers Ballpark at Arlington.  Steve is a beer vendor there and he got me a ticket to the game.  The Rangers were playing the Kansas City Royals.  I was able to walk all around the park before the game and I will tell you that is one of the nicest parks in the Major Leagues.  The area around the park is also home to the Six Flags park and Jerry's Pleasure Dome aka Cowboys Stadium.


Texas Rangers Ballpark in Arlington


Jerry's Pleasure Dome aka Cowboys Stadium as seen from the Ballpark

The Boomstick, a 2-foot long hot dog which costs $26.00

Baseball Night in Texas



There are alot of neat tings at the park.  In rhe outfield area they have two merchandise stores where you can get all the Rangers souvenirs that you might have a need for .  A open to the public full service restaurant and an outdoor bar with seat that overlook the field.  Then as I was headed to my seat in the upper deck I saw it!  The ultimate ballpark food item, an item that might even have Guy Fieri visit for DDD.  It is called "The Boomstick" a 2 foot long hot dog that includes all the fixin's you might want.  This 2 foot dog of joy will put you back 26 bucks!  No, I didn't get one nor would I ever, I like hot dogs but not THAT much!  I found my way to my seat and it was an enjoyable game.  The Rangers lost to the Royals 7-4 and I was seated near some pretty interesting people.  In front of me were two women who when the game started and the Rangers looked bad one said to the other "They're playing like the Keytone Kops tonight" and then proceed to read a book instead of watching  the game.  the tow young girls next to me who came to a night game with eye black on, I guess they had their game faces on, that's the only reason why anyone would wear eye black to a night game.
After an restful night we headed out to try a few more places before my late afternoon flight back to Dulles.  The places we were going to visit were in an area of Dallas known as Deep Ellum.  This is an old industrial area that is now an entertainment and art district. Our firsts stop was a brick oven pizza joint called "Il Cane Rosso".  The Red Dog.  It is right across the street from another DDD place called The Twisted Root Burger Company, a place I visited in 2010. 


The Lunch Special - Caesar Salad and

Pizza for 2

We ordered the Lunch Special which included drinks, salad and a pizza to share.  We decided on the Caesar Salad and a Pizza with Soapresetta, which is a spicy peperoni type sausage.  Both were fantastic.  The Soapresetta is very spicy and tasty.  the crust of th3e brick oven pizza was awesome, maybe one of the tastiest pizza crusts I have ever had.

From there we proceeded to our last stop which was right around the corner.  It's called "Pepe and Mito's Mexican Cafe".  The owner chef says his cuisine is not Tex-Mex but MEX-TEX!


Albondigno Soup

Pork Tamale Lunch
This place was ding a booming lunch business.  We were seated and immediately a tray of hot chips and salsa was presented at the table.  On the DDD episode they made with Guy the Albondigno Soup which is a meat vegetable patty in a broth topped with fresh cilantro.  Although I am not a real huge fa of soup I had to try it since Guy enjoyed it so much.  The patty looks almost omelet like and it is very tasty and the sharpness of the cilantro really stood out.  I also got the pork tamale lunch and it was also tasty.  I had the Green Chile sauce put on the side because I am not a fan of spicy stuff and that sauce has a real kick!  The co-owner came over t sign the book and when I told her that this was my #248 on the DDD tour she smiled and said, "I'm 248! I need to put that on a t-shirt!".  She thanked me for coming in and told Steve she wants to see him in more often since he is a local.  The place has a rustic feel to it and really cool old Mexican photos on the walls. 

I got on the full flight back to Dulles with the count now at 248!

No comments:

Post a Comment