Friday, May 4, 2012

Doing the Trple D in San Antonio - Day 1

As spring was moving along I was getting the itch to "Hit the Road" and continue my DDD excursions.  I looked into a number of cities to go to and as I was looking at the possibilities the city that jumped out at me as a place I had never been to  before and had alot of places to sample was the Alamo City of San Antonio, Texas.  I chose the first weekend (or part of it) of May.  I took the morning nonstop out of Dulles to San Antonio after working the next before.  The flight left around 820a and arrived just after 1030a.  I decided that my introduction to this city (the training home of the Dallas Cowboys) would be met wearing some Redskins gear!  I almost didn't make it out of the rental car lot as the security guard had some feeble Cowboy words about the shirt and then I knew - Mission Accomplished!

I headed to my first stop a small restaurant called "Taco Taco".  This small place had them packed in for lunch.  They specialize in all types of Mexican style cooking and their most popular item is their somewhat unique Puffy Taco. 


My Taco Taco Lunch with the Famous Beef Puffy Taco
I remembered from the DDD episode that Guy had a great time with the owner of the restaurant and also that she knew many of her customers and that is exactly what happens there.  She saw my Redskins shirt and had some comments and from there I was able to chat with her and get my book signed.  The place is fun and friendly and I chatted with a few of my fellow customers and then I saw something I heard happens but have never seen it myself.  The couple next to me that I had chatted with left and then I chatted with a older lady seated near me.  Both couples talked with me abut my travels and also bot had some family in Virginia.  When the older woman was about to leave and settle her check (at least 15 minutes after the other couple had left) she was told by the owner that the couple had quietly picked up her check, what an awesome sight!  By the way the food there is great!  I'd go back given the opportunity!

From Taco Taco I headed to my next place.  Just a few miles away I stopped at the "Bun 'N Barrel" a drive-in style place that has been a fixture in San Antonio for over 50 years.  It looks like a classic drive-in but with out the order boxes, if you want car service just honk the car horn and they will come to you.  most people head into the dining area where they are making all types of drive-in fare with the added specialty of very good barbecue.


The Beef Brisket Sandwich at Bun N' Barrel

On the Bun 'N Barrel's DDD episode they featured a server who is the top server there and has over 37 years of service there.  She was my server and the outstanding and friendly service that I received was the same as everyone received during my time there (she also signed my book, the perfect person to do so).  I ordered the Beef Brisket sandwich and it was really good  It made me think that we in the DC area really don't have any real good barbecue joints and down here in Texas they are all over the place and this place was excellent!

After going to check-in at my hotel I continued on to a couple more places before calling it a day.  I headed to a place that is known as THE place for Empenada's.  The Empenada is a Latin America puff pastry specialty and the best place in San Antonio is "Beto's Comeda Latina".  I went in on a quiet mid afternoon and was just blown away.  Beto's features both Savory and Sweet Empenada's so I decided to try one of each.



My Chicken Mole Empenada

My Guava and Cream Cheese Empenada

Both were fantastic, the fillings of both were awesome and they were baked perfectly tasty and flaky.  If I lived around here I'd be a frequent guest of Beto's.

I then headed out on a short road trip to end my first day in San Antonio to a place that Guy described as a Barbecue Culinary Compound!  About 10 to 15 miles out of the city in the small town of Adkins, Texas is a huge place called "Texas Pride Barbecue".  This is sort of like a barbecue "Honky Tonk" (if you saw the movie called Urban Cowboy a Honky Tonk called Gilley's was featured in that movie).  They make some of the best brisket (as well as other types of barbecued meats) you might find anywhere.  You enter in and order your meal, I got the two meat combo featuring Smoked Pork Sausage and Beef Brisket.


My 2 Meat Combo meal
From there you enter the large dining hall area that, although not air conditioned was pretty cool with fans all over.  In the hall you can get your sauces, drinks and breads.  There is also seating outside and a big stage where nightly there is entertainment and then you can get some souvenirs and just in case you forgot, a tattoo and the on site tattoo parlor.  And don't forget the Helipad in the back!  My meal was awesome, I really like good barbecue and this was good barbecue.  When I arrived there weren't too m any people there, but later the place was probably packed as it was Biker Night!

I drove back to my hotel happy but stuffed, it had been a long but fun and delicious day.  Day 2 was coming soon!

1 comment:

  1. Diners, Drive-ins and Dives (DDD, The Triple D) are a United State American food television series show. The host of this show is Guy Fieri.

    ReplyDelete