Sunday, May 6, 2012

Doing DDD in San Antonio and Annapolis

I started Day 2 in San Antonio with a place that specializes in breakfasts.  I drove only a very short way to "The Magnolia Pancake Haus".  As I drove up there were so many people walking towards the entrance it looked like a tour bus had just dropped off a load of people, but there was no bus to be found there were just car loads of people arriving.  I walked up and got on the list.  Magnolia is cutting edge (at least to me) in taking your cell number and informing you of your table readiness by text message.  They got my number and told me it would be about a 10 minute wait.  I took a bench seat and waited for my text to come in.


My Bacon Pancakes Breakfast
In about 10 minutes the text came and my table was ready.  The Magnolia menu was loaded with a number of both egg and pancake dishes and pretty reasonably prices.  I knew that I had some more places to try so I decided on a smaller breakfast as many of them seemed quite large.  I decided on the Bacon Pancakes.  The dish is a stack of 3 pancakes with Applewood Smoked Bacon cooked in.  This is a dish that I really like and it brings back memories of my grandmother, who used to make these types of pancakes.  They are served with a small urn of warm syrup and butter and they were very delicious.  The restaurant has a very southern plantation feel to it, with knick knacks on the walls and homey pictures all over.  I can see why they are lining up each day to have a great start to the day.

After a quick stop back at the hotel I drove to a local strip mall to try a place called "Dough Pizzeria Napoletana".  From the outside it looks like a small cafe restaurant with some outdoor seating next to a boat supply store.  Upon entering you see the Brick Oven and get the feel of Italy.  The tables are adorned with cloth napkins and nice cutlery.  Dough is known for their brick oven pizza and hand made mozzarella cheeses. 


My Porktastic Pizza
I decided to get the small (personal) sized pizza that Guy made on their episode called the Porktastic.  The pizza has 4 or 5 types of meats including sausage, peperoni, and panchetta.  The crust was chewy and very tasty and the pizza was served with fresh shaved Parmesan cheese.  This is a place that I want to return to and try some of the unique pizzas and homemade appetizers that Dough is making, this is a can't miss place in San Antonio.

I then headed to a place that might be the most unique that I have tried on my DDD Adventures.  I headed to a small shopping center and a restaurant called "Moroccan Bites".  This small restaurant makes authentic Moroccan foods.  The owner greets everyone of her guests and when I asked her to sign my book she gave me a big hug.  Each table is adorned with a Moroccan Star display and in the back is a very nicely appointed Moroccan VIP Dining area.


My Kafka Kebab Sandwich

The VIP Dining area
I chose the Kefka Kebab Sandwich, which is a ground beef kebab with spices mixed into the eat and a mixture of spices and vegetables cooked into the sandwich, it was one of the tastiest sandwiches I have ever had.  I was a bit hesitant about trying this place and can honestly say that I am so glad that I ate there!

As I drove to the next place I just had to take a photo of my car's temperature gauge.  It was hot, but didn't seem this hot



I went onto a very cool place that is part car wash, laundromat, and eclectic restaurant; welcome to "The Cove"!  The Cove specializes in all Organic and Sustainable locally grown vegetables and meats.  You enter into the ordering area and then move over to the seating area.  You have a choice of outside seating or inside, but in either place there is a stage for the nightly musical entertainment.  there is also a kiddie playground.  The Cove is a very family friendly place!


My Cove Burger made with Lamb and Organic Fries
I ordered the Cove Burger made with a Lamb Patty.  It was very tasty, but it tasted too much like beef and since it cost a few bucks more I should have just gotten the Beef Burger!  It came with delicious Organic Fries, fresh cut on site.  I know that the next time I go to San Antonio I will return to The Cove and enjoy some of their entertainment.  Note to my friend Deborah in Austin, we need to visit this place!

My last place that I tried in San Antonio is a true local legend.  A San Antonio legend for over 70 years "DeWese's Tip Top" is just your old fashioned cafe-diner.  The restaurant has been in the same family since it opened and draws guests form all ethnic groups and serves some really good food.  The restaurant has old photos all over the wood lined walls with tables and old fashioned booths.  They are known for their Chicken Fried Steak.


Chicken Fried Steak Sandwich - A Tip Top Specialty
The Chicken Fried Steak meal was way too big for me, so I tried the sandwich version.  It is a pounded cube steak fried in the same way as chicken and served on a bun with chips.  Now I am not too sure if it's a small bun or just a large steak and I am guessing it's the later!  It was a great ending to a wonderful trip to San Antonio.

I flew home and headed to Annapolis to try a place by the State Capital of Maryland.  I drove into the city and headed into the historic district, which is by the Naval Academy, St. John's College and the Maryland State House.  The Capital building has a driving circle around it and one of the streets off the circle is Maryland Avenue.  About 100 yards down Maryland Avenue is a white building and my next DDD location "Galway Bay Irish Pub".  I met my friend from high school who lives on Maryland's Eastern Shore, Tammy on a late Sunday morning.




On the episode Galway Bay looked like a pub with some seating, but in reality it is much larger than it looks, both on TV and from the outside.  The interior is very nice with Irish artifacts and pictures all around.  We were seated at a nice table in one of the dining rooms and looked over the very extensive menu and the first thing that struck me is that the prices were very very reasonable.  On their episode they featured a Stuffed Cabbage appetizer that Guy called "Irish Sushi".  I knew that I had to try that.  Along with the regular menu there was also a Brunch Menu, which is what we ended up ordering off of.  I tried the Quiche accompanied by a salad and fruit, Tammy chose the Chesapeake Eggs Benedict which was topped with crab meat.

Irish Sushi aka Stuffed Cabbage Rolls

Vegetable Quiche Brunch
Chesapeake Eggs Benedict

The appetizer came and it was awesome.  Cabbage leaves stuffed with a Mashed Potato and Corned Beef mixture with a really tasty Mustard mix and that gave the dish a really good kick.  The main meals came and my quiche was really good, but Tammy's Eggs were absolutely awesome!  Worth the trip, she made a great choice! 

I ended my weekend of DDD visits with my number now at 142.  I am not sure f I will get back to San Antonio anytime soon, but I do know that I want to get a group together to have a great meal and alot of fun at Galway Bay!  Where to next?  Only time will tell!

1 comment:

  1. Bill, this is another great post. You make great use of your time and your selections are always interesting. Once again I'll say it- I wish I was as adventurous as you and would try new foods! That is one of my worst traits! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete