Wednesday, June 29, 2011

California Here I Come! (Part 1)

In early January I got a call form my buddy Rich.  Rich is a photographer in Scranton, PA and travels often, mostly to professional meetings and trade shows.  Rich asked me if I wanted to join him in March when he had a trip planned to San Diego.  I told him that I would check out my schedule and try to make it.  As the dates got closer I was able to work it out.  My company has many more flights from Dulles to Los Angeles than we do to San Diego, so I looked into checking out places that were not only in San Diego but also along the way on the 2 hour drive from LAX to San Diego. 

I actually planned to fly out a day earlier than Rich, on Tuesday March 15th, on an early morning nonstop.  Arriving into LA at around 10am, it was off to get the rental and head to San Diego, but there were a few places to check out on the way.  First stop was in Long Beach, "At Last Cafe" is a small artsy cafe in a quiet neighborhood in Long Beach.  As I was driving through Long Beach, I saw that they were setting up bleachers along the roads for the soon t be run Grand Prix of Long Beach.  After arriving at the At last I was seated in a small booth and tried the signature Pork Chop meal that was featured on DDD along with an Orangeade, both were very good.  The small cafe is very popular and for lunch there is alot of traffic in and out of the restaurant.  The chef-owner met me and was happy to sign the book.  From there it was on to Anaheim and a place that is a landmark in the community, "Mamma Cozza's Italian".  This classic Italian eatery has been there since the 1940's and the walls are adorned with alot of pictures of celebrities that have eaten there.  In the hall way to the rest room are photos of many of the Disney celebrities that have eaten there as the Disneyland Resort is not too far away.  I got the signature dish there which is Pasta with Domery Sauce.  Domery Sauce is a tomato based with sausage and clams and is a bit on the spicy side but very good.  The coolest thing about Mamma's is that it is truly an Italian place with all the sides and homemade bread sticks on the table as soon as you sit down along with a side of marinated veggies.  Mr. Cozza, the co-founder signed the book, how cool is that!  I was then on the 5 Freeway south the San Diego, as I was getting on the Freeway I looked over and there it was the Pink Castle at "The Happiest Place on Earth", Snow White's Castle at Disneyland.

I checked into the hotel for one night and fell asleep almost instantly, I had worked overnight, caught a morning flight, stopped at two places and then drove 2 hours to San Diego, it had been a long day.  Luckily the next place I wanted to try was a 24 hour diner.  I went over to the "Studio Diner" a classic silver aluminum diner, that is seen all over the northeast.  For midnight the place was very buys and I had to try to whole belly clam dinner, another DDD featured dish.  They were very good, but a little bit more expensive than I would have liked. 

The next day Rich was scheduled to arrive around 1030a, so I had planned to check-out of the hotel, check out a DDD breakfast joint and then pick up Rich.  I would stay the next few nights with Rich at his hotel in the LaJolla area of San Diego.  I went to breakfast at a place that I am not really sure how to describe, it is a diner in the menu and food, but it is way more upscale than any diner I have ever been to.  "Hob Nob Hill" is in the hills above San Diego and affords a great view of San Diego's Lindbergh Airport.  I went in and as I said this is basically a diner but is very upscale, nice appointments and a staff that are uniformed in a very posh setting.  I got the Roast Beef Hast breakfast, which included eggs, potatoes, and a biscuit.  Get this, the Orange Marmalade was presented in a hollowed out orange!  Food was very good and service even better, if you are in the San Diego area, try Hob Nob Hill!

Well, it was now time to go get Rich and continue the adventure....Until next time!

1 comment:

  1. I feel like I'm reading a guide when I read this -- you're very good and you should be published! Like a commentary on DDD haha Anyway, keep it up. It's awesome that you're adventurous with your eating and with your life!

    ReplyDelete