Monday, June 13, 2011

Triple D in Big D

Some of the tools that I use to plan my travels include Google Maps and both the Food Network sub-website for DDD and I found a new site which I think Guy (or his people) might maintain called Flavortown USA.  The best thing about Flavortown USA is that it breaks down  DDD locations by state.  I maintain a list of all the locations that have been on the show, but that list is by episodes, it's much easier to use the state by state listing.

I looked at a number of cities to visit and then looked at the potential for me to get to on my passes.  I looked at San Antonio, Houston, Atlanta and decided upon Dallas.  In the Dallas/Ft. Worth area (known to many as the Metroplex) there were 7 places to try.  I flew down to Dallas on Easter Sunday 2010 and went to the only place that was open on that day, "Jamaica Gates Caribbean Cuisine".  The restaurant is in the city of Arlington, which is about halfway between the Dallas and Ft. Worth.  The restaurant was pretty empty so I got great service from a very friendly staff.  I got something that I had never had before, braised oxtail the meat dish was served with rice and plantains and although very bony it was extremely tasty.  I stayed near the DFW Airport in a town called Grapevine.  Nearby in the town of Lewisville is one of my best friends Steve and his wife Kathy.  On a side note, I met Steve on a cruise back in 1992 and all signs would lead you to think that we should not get along whatsoever, Steve works for American Airlines, I am with United, he is a Cowboys fan, I am a Redskins fan, so you see the differences, but Steve has been a great friend of mine since we met and I have visited him many times over the years.  We had planned to have dinner together on two ot the nights  I was in the area.  On Sunday night we went to a non-DDD place called Colter's Barbecue.  I think that the DC area is a wasteland for good barbecue, so going to a real barbecue joint is a great pleasure.  We planned to meet again on the Tuesday as his Monday was full.  Steve also is a beer vendor at the American Airlines Center in Dallas where the NBA Champion Mavericks play as well as the NHL team the Stars.  He is also a vendor at Ameriquest Field, home of the Texas Rangers baseball team and that Monday was their Opening Day for the 2010 season.  Opening Day is the reason that I was going to stay away from the Arlington area at all costs.  As I prepared for the trip I checked out all of the locations websites and all but two of them had websites.  The sites are so important because I can check out the hours the places are open and get general directions and information.  I headed into the the City of Dallas.  I was headed to "Avila's Mexican" and as I turned into the place there was a big sign "CLOSED FOR RENOVATIONS"..."Great!" came all this way for nothing, you guessed it, it was one of the 2 that didn't have a website!  Well, I counted it as a visit because I made the attempt and had no way to know their status.  Away I went to the nearest place which was called "Louie's".  Louies on the show was know as a dank sandwich dive but looked like a lot of fun.  I pulled into a very scary looking and deserted whit block building, yes Louie's is closed on Mondays and yes, Louies is the other place without a website, so I am now batting 0 for 2 on Opening Day!  I headed towards Ft. Worth to a town called Wautauga to try a gourmet restaurant that shares space with a Phillips 66 gas station and mini-mart, called "Chef Pointe Cafe".  The couple that own the whole complex originally only wanted to run a restaurant but when they went to get a business loan to get started they were denied, so when they saw this gas station up for sale they looked into getting a business loan for it and were successful!  The chef is from the Caribbean but is cranking out some of the best food you'll ever try and it is an international fare.  I think I might say that if might be the best food you'll ever get a a gas station!  I got the stuffed mushroom caps that they featured on the show.  For dinner I was headed to the Deep Ellum area of Dallas to try a place that looked really cool when it was on the show.  The "Twisted Root Burger Company" is an excellent Burger and Fries joint.  The neat thing about ordering at Twisted Root is that instead of being given a number you get a name, usually a Warner Brothers classic cartoon name, I think I was Speedy Gonzales, very cool!  I was able to meet the manager and he not only graciously signed the book, but we spoke at some length about my journey and he ten had them bring me one of their signature desert shakes, it was a Girl Scout Thin Mints Shake, very good!  As I was finishing I got a call form a long lost high school buddy who now flies for American and lives east of the Metroplex.  Mark was just finishing a two day trip and invited me to his home.  He texeted me his address and I drove out to his place and catch up on old times and watch the NCAA Final 4 Championship game.  What an unexpected treat that was!  On Tuesday I headed out to Arlington to try the next place, but before that I went to Cowboys Stadium to take the stadium tour.  I made sure to wear a Redskins shirt, had to defend my team!  It was the same day that the Redskins traded for Donovan McNabb, so me and my shirt got alot of comments!  The stadium is awesome and the tour is very popular.  The main high-def video screen is unreal. the tour included going on the field, going into the press area and the different seating and luxury box areas.  If you are in the Dallas area take some time to see this place, it's just too bad it's the home of THAT team!  I then went to a place maybe 2 miles from the stadium, a converted drive-in called "Prince Lebanese Grill".  Classic Middle Eastern meals are served here and it was quite good.  The staff was very appreciative that I stopped in and happily signed the book!  My final DDD meal in Big D was with Steve and Kathy and we went into Ft. Worth to one of the coolest places in that city, "Fred's Texas Cafe".  The chef-owner had a ball with Guy on the show and he cooks and looks like he would be the chuck wagon cook in all those classic Westerns.  Unfortunately he was not there that night but I had a great time visiting with great friends and having a wonderful meal.

The next morning it was back home and my DDD count was at 61!

No comments:

Post a Comment