Monday, July 18, 2011

DDD Virginia Beach Style!



In the spring of 2011 when I really started using Guy Fieri's Flavortown USA website, I noticed that they had visited 6 more locations in my home state, The Commonwealth of Virginia.  All of the new locations are in the Virginia Beach and Portsmouth area of Southeastern Virginia along the Atlantic Ocean, which is about a 4 hour drive for me, so I knew that I would have to make the trip down.  I took a long weekend and after work on a Thursday, I headed south.  After a brief stop in Fredericksburg to take care of some personal stuff I headed off to Virginia Beach.  Four of the DDD locations were in Virginia Beach (VA Beach is a VERY large area, so I can honestly say that I went to Virginia Beach and didn't SEE the beach or ocean!).  The other 2 were in nearby Portsmouth.  I planned to visit 3 each day to get to all 6. 

Citrus Breakfast and Lunch in Virginia Beach

My first stop (all of these locations have been filmed but they have not been aired on DDD yet). was an upscale cafe called "Citrus Breakfast and Lunch".  The airy cafe proudly serves only the freshest ingredients, many of them organic.  I sat at the counter and got to talk to the very friendly staff they recommended the Citrus Pancakes, one of the meals that Guy had.  The fluffy pancakes had a side of orange juice sauce and was topped with pineapple and bananas.  They were delicious!  A nice meal after a long ride!  From there I headed into Portsmouth and a long time chicken takeout place called "Moseberth's Chicken".  it is not in the nicest part of town and the place is a bit difficult to park at but the food was pretty good, although I must admit that it was nothing real special, a good chicken joint.  I took the "Leg Snack" box which included two pieces of chicken, fries, and hush puppies back to my hotel to eat a bit later.

Moseberth's Chicken in Portsmouth, VA



The Moseberth's Snack Box

Before going to check in at the hotel I had one more stop to make.  A place I can only describe 'lovingly" as a dive!  "Harvey's Hot Dogs II" is a great place!  As I have written many times, we need a good "hot dog joint" here in Northern Virginia, and a Harvey's would really fill the bill.  They have a pretty wide menu of sandwiches, but I had to get the hot dog!  There are 5 or six different types, I got the Hormel Dog, which is on that Guy sampled. It had a crisp snap and tasted great.  I got it "all the way" which included chili, onions and mustard.  the chili had a bite to it and I told the friendly staff that those were "killer dogs" because I could have eaten 10 of them!

Harvey's Hot Dogs in Portsmouth, VA

For dinner that night I decided to stay in The Food Network theme but not a DDD joint.  A few years ago on the show "Throwdown with Bobby Flay", Bobby had a Pulled Pork Throwdown with a Barbecue Pit Master named Lee Anne Whippen form Chesapeake, VA.  Lee Anne's restaurant is called "Woodchicks Barbecue" so that's where I wanted to go and try. I got the Pulled Pork Sandwich that came with Baked Beans and Lee Anne's special fries that were coated in barbecue rub.  The meal was very good.  She rightfully deserves all the awards and accolades that she has gotten.  many of the trophies and ribbons are on display in the restaurant.


The Beach Pub in Virginia Beach
The next day it was off to 3 locations in Virginia Beach.  The first was "The Beach Pub" and it was a really friendly diner.  It is in the aerial path of the Oceana Naval Air Station, so the restaurant is adorned with alot of Naval aircraft and every few minutes one of the fighters roars overhead.  I got the Soft Shelled Crab sandwich and it was great and very inexpensive.  When the staff saw my book, they got the owner-chef to come out and we had a great conversation about the restaurant and the filming.  I will return to the Beach Pub.  Next on the list was "Whitners Barbecue."  This small joint is in a strip mall and to be honest, I didn't find it all that great and the staff was not to friendly either.  The assistant manager wouldn't sign my book and all in all, I wasn't too terribly disappointed.  The business was busy, but it just wasn't a place I really enjoyed.  Off to my last DDD place in the area.  "Flip Flop's Grill and Chill" has a great name, a wonderful young staff and great food.  As soon as I told my server why I was there, he got the owner and we talked at length about the restaurant and Guy's visit.  This place sounds like it should be on the beach, but it is in a residential Target strip mall!  Being my third stop in a few hours I decided to try an appetizer and got the Orange Encrusted Scallops.  They were great!  One thing I heard from the owner, Page Productions, the company that produces DDD was in some dispute with The Food Network, so all of these places were still anxiously awaiting the showing of their episodes!  
Flip Flops Grill and Chill
For dinner I made plans with a dear long time friend of mine, Beth and her husband Bret.  We met up at a place that I am surprised has not been on DDD yet in Portsmouth called the "Bier Garden".  Authentic German cuisine is their specialty.  It was a great night of remembering the past and sharing travel experiences.
My friend Beth and me

I drove home with my DDD count at 161 and looking forward to mre adventures as I go to hawaii in December to celebrate my 200th.  I have now caught up woth my DDD travels, so the blogs won't be soming so fast and furious but as I make each trip, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment