Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Jacksonville, FL....Good Times and Good Food!

I looked at the DDD list of Florida locations and saw that there were 6 places, so I figured "Why Not!"  I figured I could make an overnight trip down and try some places that looked really good on the show and two that had yet to air.  I worked the overnight before getting ready to board a morning flight from Dulles to Jacksonville.  While waiting to board I ran into a friend from Oakton High School.  Mary and her daughter were headed to Seattle for a week of work and fun in both Washington state and Alaska.  I told her of some places in Alaska that Guy had visited while doing a special DDD in North Pole, Alaska.  After that brief visit Mary was off to the Pacific Northwest and I was headed to Northern Florida.  After a quick flight down and a long line at the Rental Car counter I was headed into Jacksonville.  Did you know that Jacksonville is the largest city in terms of area in the United States?  Neither did I!

The Metro Diner in Jacksonville, FL
My first stop was a place that Guy Loved and he had a great time on the DDD episode with the owner-chef.  "The Metro Diner" is quaint place that serves big food!  They are open for breakfast and lunch and have some really great food.  One of the main meals that Guy had made during his visit was the Metro's signature salad that Guy described to the owner as "Men all over the country are getting on buses to come here so they could tell their wives 'But I had a salad!'".  The Pittsburgh Steak Salad pays homage to the owners hometown and features salad greens, crumbled bleu cheese, bleu cheese dressing (on the side), french fries and a sirloin steak on top, which is what I ordered.
The Pittsburgh Steak Salad
Unfortunately the owner was not there but his assistant gladly signed the book and told me all about Guy's visit.  It is a place that I really wished was closer to where I live!  From there it was on to a place that my friend Steve (whom I would see later that evening) told me was a tapas Bar and Taps really meant "Small Portions and High Prices" and he was not too far off the truth on that one!  I went to an artsy area of Jacksonville to a place called "13 Gypsies"
13 Gypsies
I ordered a plate called, The Roman Gnocchi.  I am a fan of Gnocchi, but this was very different, it was 3 large squares of pasta and cheese in a brown sauce.  It was surprisingly good.  I met the chef that cooked with Guy, but I really didn't find them all that friendly, maybe it was just a bad day, I was the only one there for most of my visit.
Roman Gnocchi
After taking a break and catching a few hours of sleep I headed towards the Atlantic to try a very cool place and meet up with my friend from High School, Steve.  We met up at an Irish Pub in the ocean town of Atlantic Beach at a place called "Culhane's Irish Pub".  This authentic pub was opened by 4 sisters fresh 'off the boat" from Ireland.  I was able to meet Mary Beth Culhane, one of the owners and we had a really nice conversation.  I met up with Steve and his wife and we had a great time talking about old time, travels and our upcoming 30th High School Reunion.  Steve really enjoys pubs and he said that this was a really great one and although it is about 45 minutes form his home, he told me that he would be back there.  i got this really good Irish Fish stew, loaded with scallops, fish and shrimp in a creamy white sauce, very good.  After an all too short visit I said good bye to Steve, it was time to call it a day!
Steve and me at Culhane's Irish Pub
The next morning I checked out of the hotel and headed off to three more places.  The first was another small cafe in what seemed to me to be the Mayberry area of Jacksonville.  I squeezed into a counter seat at a very busy eatery called "The Fox".  I had been told that the food to try there was the southern style Fried Green Tomatoes.  I did try them and they were very tasty with a really nice dipping sauce.  From there it was onto a rally cool place


Conch Fritters at Singleton's


years!  After the short ferry boat ride (with over 200 Harley bikers) I got to "Singletons Seafood Shack".  Shack is a very good way to describe this place.  It is a wooden building that is part fish market, part restaurant.  I tried a seafood sandwich that had a mix of shellfish and fish.  It was ok, but the real treat was the Conch Fritters, anytime I see Conch on the menu I have top try it!  From Shackleton's it was onto a place that was down the street from Culhanes but in a different town, a town called Neptune Beach.   
Sun Dog Steak and Seafood in Neptune Beach
I almost couldn't get there because there was a festival of some sort going on and parking was nearly impossible but then a miracle happened somebody was leaving so I pulled in and went into a very cool joint called "Sun Dog Steak and Seafood".  I tried the Bleu Chips, a baked appetizer that has Kettle Potato Chips topped with Bleu Cheese dressing and Bleu Cheese crumbles, it was great!  This joint has yet to air but was on the list and the staff seemed to think they wouldn't be on the show but Guy went there so not only did I but I now that they'll be on the show really soon. 

Back to the airport and the flight home.   My DDD count now stood at 146!

No comments:

Post a Comment