Sunday, July 24, 2011

A Great Meal with an long time friend!




I have really enjoyed using Facebook.  I have reconnected with so many people for my past that I have lost count.  Most of them are from my days in high school at Oakton, but I have also reconnected with others from places that I have worked at and my elementary school at Mosby Woods and my Junior High which was called Luther Jackson Intermediate in Merrifield, VA (now they called it Luther Jackson Middle School, but I don't think there is any difference just wording!).  At Luther Jackson half of our 8th Grade class moved on to Oakton and the other half moved on to Falls Church High School, so I really lost touch with those people about 33 years ago.  There are some people that I always remembered and often wondered whatever became of them.  After joining Facebook I looked some up and found this one girl that I had alot of classes with and although we were not really close friends I always admired her and her name really left my mind.  We reconnected shortly after I joined Facebook and we quickly were corresponding back and forth, we had the same sense of humor and it has been great bantering back and forth with her.  She has followed the blog and made some comments.  She wrote to me that she had passed the Metro 29 Diner in Arlington, which has been on DDD and I went to in January 2011.  I told her I love to meet her there for a meal and we decided to meet for lunch there on a very hot Friday.  They seated us all the way in the back of the diner in an empty room, but as we chatted and caught up the place filled up and the room was pretty noisy.  She asked me what was the meals to get and I told her about the meals that were cooked on DDD.  After conferring with the server she decided on the popular Challah Bread French Toast.  
Challah Bread French Toast



I chose the Chicken Souvlaki Platter, which is one of their specialty meals.  I would describe the Metro 29 as  a "Jersey Style" Diner, their menu is very large and extensive.   My meal was very good, but it paled in comparison with my friends French Toast.  The Challah bread was dense and so tasty, I am not a real fan of French Toast but this will make a believer our of me!
Chicken Souvlaki Platter
As we finished our meal we talked with our server about  my DDD travels and I asked if the chef who cooked with Guy was there so he could sign my book.  Now in every case the chef has come out and chatted with me and signed the book, but our server told us that he was really busy and could would we like to meet him in the kitchen.  Well, it didn't take us too long to agree to that.  We were headed into the "Belly of the Beast"!  We met and chatted briefly and he signed my book, a first!  I had a great time with my friend and a great meal.  We are planning to try another local place in the near future.  DDD has been great and reconnecting with friends in my travels has been wonderful. A big thanks to my friend for joining me and to the people at the Metro 29.


The Metro 29 Chef and me in the "Belly of the Beast"...The Kitchen!


No comments:

Post a Comment