Wednesday, July 6, 2011

High Tailin' it to the Lone Star State

Now with the goal to get to 150 (or even 200) by December  started to look for places to go.  Guy had done a number of places in the Houston area and with United, my employer, in the middle of a merger with Continental, getting to and from Houston became easier so I decided to give Houston a try!

I work the overnight shift, so I decided to catch a 6am flight out of Dulles so I could get a good jump on trying the 6 DDD locations in the Houston area.  I tend to try and stay near an airport as it seems for me easier to get around, especially in areas that I am not familiar with.  Houston has two airports, Hobby in the southeastern area of the city and Bush Intercontinental in the northern part of the city.  We fly into Bush Intercontinental and it really is north of the city, I was in for a lot of driving!  I arrived about 830am and got the car and off I went.  My first stop was an interesting local cafe that has been in business for about a century.  "Lankford Grocery" is not a store at all, but a very quaint eatery in a older part of town that was like half business and half residence.  I went in and took a table that was next to the DDD Guy poster that is usually on display at all the places I visit.  It was still in the breakfast hours, so I tried the Breakfast Burritos and they were very good (I then found out that the entire menu was available and I am not a big breakfast fan, darn!).  When I asked to get my book signed the server went and got the owner and we had a nice conversation about not only the filming but my travels and also got some good tips about the other places in the area that  I would be visiting. 

Of the 6 places in the Houston area, 4 were in the city area and two were quite a distance away, so I decided to do the road trips on my first day there and stay more in the city on my second day.  After leaving Lankford I headed southwest out of Houston to a small town about 30 miles away called Rosenberg.  "Bob's Taco Stand" can only be described as a'dive', but I say that only in a good way.  Constructed in a old gas station, they are putting out great Mexican food, I got a couple of beef tacos and they were excellent!  Bob's actually started out as a Snow Ball stand, with dozens of flavors and combinations.  Snow Ball season was still a week or so away so I guess I'll have to try them on my next visit.  I got to meet the restaurants namesake, Bob.  He is a big guy, but really nice and he makes sure that everyone is take care of.

After getting settled into the hotel and getting a couple hours of sleep, I was off to the town of Kemah which is to the southeast of Houston next to Galveston.  The entire ride gave me a great view of the oil industry of Texas and also the port facilities that are used by several cruise lines.  I finally arrived at "T-Bone Tom's Steakhouse".  This large restaurant serves all kinds of steaks and pork chops.  I had to also try their signature appetizer called Armadillo Eggs.  These "eggs" are stuffed jalapenos surrounded with coating and fried to a hard egg shell, and very good, a bit too spicy for my palate.  I also got the Texas sized Country Fried Steak, which was featured on DDD, way too much food, I was very full leaving for the 45 minute drive back to the hotel. 

The next morning I headed out to the Galleria area of Houston.  This area is very upscale with alot of high ends shops and hotels.  In a very nice looking strip mall was "Kenny and Ziggy's New York Style Deli".  The restaurant is a large diner with photos of celebrities on the walls along with movie posters of New York based movies.  I got their signature Pastrami on Rye sandwich which came with freshly made dill pickles.  It was very good, but I must say that the prices were pretty high, I guess New York prices come with the name!  They also make all the deli-diner foods that are famous in the New York area, knishes, blintzes, salads, etc.  From there I went to what was probably the most unique DDD restaurant that I have yet tried, "Cafe Pita +".  This small cafe is owned and operated by a family from Bosnia.  The Bosnian menu is very much like the menu you might find at a Greek restaurant.  I really enjoyed Cafe Pita, although trying to get them to sign the book was a task as they really didn't understand the concept and then got too buy to sign, oh well, can't get them all! 

I then tried a very popular Greek Restaurant and Drive-In called "Niko-Niko's".  This joint is now a large operation, and does Greek right!  I got a Gyro and it was really good.  They also feature a full menu of Greek desserts and a coffee bar that would rival any Starbucks.  Niko, the owner, has become such a celebrity (he cooked with Guy) that his image is now a cartoon character all over the restaurant.  Unfortunately he was not there on my visit but his manager signed so that was good!  I ended my Houston visit at a British pub called "The Red Lion Pub".  The Red Lion is a bit of Britain right in the middle of Houston!  Red Leather high back chairs, coat of arms, dozens of British ales on tap are all featured at the Red Lion.  I got their featured Sheppard's Pie and it was really good.  This is one of those places that you should try, I have never been to Britain, but the Red Lion is what I have always imagined a pub to be like in the old country.

After a 2 day trip to Houston it was a quick flight back to Dulles.

Before I would take my next trip, there was one more DC area place I wanted to try.  I had a meeting at the National Press Club for a group that I am involved with The Washington Airline Society (I am the President).  Before going to the Press Building I took the Metro to the Eastern Market Metro stop to try "Tortilla Cafe".  It is right across from the Market Building and makes authentic Central American cuisine.  I had a great time with the owner, during the filing for DDD Guy kept making fun of the way she said "TOTALLY", so I did too.  She was surprised about my travels and dedication to trying to get to so many locations.  I told her about my upcoming trips it was just a great visit.  I will go back very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment